Is Vitamin C well tolerated?

This forum will focus on the interesting topic of titrating oral vitamin C intake to so-called bowel tolerance, the point just prior to the onset of diarrhea

Moderator: ofonorow

Blanche Keaveney

Post Number:#1  Post by Blanche Keaveney » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:43 pm

Hello Everyone

I have just joined this discussion forum and I wondered if anyone can help me. My problem is that I cannot seem to tolerate Vitamin C in any form. The problem occurs approximatly 5 - 6 hours after taking it. I exprience pain in my gut and have to stop taking it. I have read of the many benefits of Vitamin Cand would like to find out if anyone else has experienced this kind of proplem. I have tried various forms including Ester C which, reportedly in the UK, is the most easily digestable form. I have tried products from various manufacturers including Solgar, Biocare and Lamberts but they all have the same effect.

I would welcome your advice

Blanche

ascorbicjoe
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Re: Is Vitamin C well tolerated?

Post Number:#2  Post by ascorbicjoe » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:56 pm

Blanche Keaveney wrote:Hello Everyone

I have just joined this discussion forum and I wondered if anyone can help me. My problem is that I cannot seem to tolerate Vitamin C in any form. The problem occurs approximatly 5 - 6 hours after taking it. I exprience pain in my gut and have to stop taking it. I have read of the many benefits of Vitamin Cand would like to find out if anyone else has experienced this kind of proplem. I have tried various forms including Ester C which, reportedly in the UK, is the most easily digestable form. I have tried products from various manufacturers including Solgar, Biocare and Lamberts but they all have the same effect.

I would welcome your advice

Blanche

I had a little upset stomach with pills, so I switched to Pure C mixed with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and water. The official ratio is 2.35 parts absorbic acid to 1 part sodium bicarbonate. I usually eyeball it at 2 to 1. I feel absolutely nothing when I take it this way, stomach wise.

Some argue this is great, some not. It works for me. I take 5 grams or so 3 times per day. I occasionally get loose stools at this level, but normally not. So, I am absorbing 15+ grams a day this way.

Joe

davids

Post Number:#3  Post by davids » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:52 am

Hi Blanche,

Please take a look at the answer I gave to another poster having a similar problem to yours.

http://vitamincfoundation.org/forum/vie ... ight=#1043

Best wishes,

David

Blanche Keaveney

Post Number:#4  Post by Blanche Keaveney » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:16 pm

Hi David

Thank you for your reply. What a knowledgable person you are!

What is the difference between sodium ascorbate and sodium bicarbonate? I am a complete pleb when it comes to ascorbates!

I will certainly do as you suggest.

Kind Regards

Blanche

Blanche Keaveney

Post Number:#5  Post by Blanche Keaveney » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:25 pm

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your response.

I will take a look on the Internet to see if I can find Pure C. I have just asked David if sodium bicarbonate and sodium ascorbate are one and the same. Does it work for you because the SB balances the acid in the VC? I have never heard of this.

Best wishes

Blanche

[/b]

davids

Post Number:#6  Post by davids » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:49 pm

Blanche Keaveney wrote:Hi David

What is the difference between sodium ascorbate and sodium bicarbonate? I am a complete pleb when it comes to ascorbates!

Kind Regards

Blanche

Hi Blanche,

You are welcome.

Sodium bicarbonate and sodium ascorbate are not the same thing. You can make sodium ascorbate using 2.35 parts of ascorbic acid to 1 part of sodium bicarbonate. However, I would encourage you to ingest as much of your ascorbate in the acid form as you comfortably can, per the following by the doctor with more clinical experience in its use than any other on earth:
"I have not been able to achieve the ascorbate effect with mineral ascorbates orally. Mineral ascorbates are fine forms of vitamin C but when you are really sick, the mitochondria are failing in their refueling of the free radical scavengers with electrons. The ascorbic acid carries 2 extra electrons per molecule where the mineral ascorbates seem to carry only one (plus per molecule the mineral ascorbates are heavier due to the mineral weighing more than the hydrogen the mineral replaces). So the mineral ascorbates are not potent enough to accomplish the ascorbate effect. There may be other reasons that we do not appreciate additionally." -- Dr. Robert Cathcart, III, M.D. http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/esterc.htm

Best wishes,

David

somewhere

Post Number:#7  Post by guest » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:52 pm

Some where on this forum is a post that taking Betaine HCL (stomach acid) aided in these problems. Stomach acid increases vitamin Cs absorption through the stomach wall into the blood stream.

Let us know if the bicarb added to ascorbic acid works, and if not, whether taking Betaine HCL (from a health food store) does the trick for you.

Although expensive, the LivOnLabs lypohspheric C (nanoparticles) will also work.

ascorbicjoe
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#8  Post by ascorbicjoe » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:08 pm

Sodium Bicarbonate contains no ascorbate. It is the baking soda you use in baking.
http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/s1/sodiumbi.asp

When you mix pure ascorbate and baking soda in water you start a chemical reaction. You will know by the bubbles coming off the mixture. Those bubbles are carbon dioxide. What you are left with is sodium ascorbate in a water solution. You then drink the water. I have heard mixed reviews with mineral ascorbates orally. However, it is better to take it over avoiding v-c due to stomach upset. I also prefer for it protects my teeth. Pure ascorbate in solution may attack your teeth. I have heard many people recommend drinking pure ascorbate with a straw to avoid the teeth.

You will find many issues arise with taking ascorbate at high levels. Our digestive tracks were not designed for it. Find something that works for you, but make gradual changes.

Blanche Keaveney wrote:Hi David

Kind Regards

Blanche

Return to “Bowel Tolerance”