What happens if you don't titrate to bowel tolerance?

This forum will focus on the interesting topic of titrating oral vitamin C intake to so-called bowel tolerance, the point just prior to the onset of diarrhea

Moderator: ofonorow

orbitc

What happens if you don't titrate to bowel tolerance?

Post Number:#1  Post by orbitc » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:04 pm

I was wondering, what would happen if you didn't titrate to bowel tolerance and instead, drank half or 3/4 of bowel tolerance? Would it be as effective? Would it upset the stomach more or less?

The reason why I am asking is because I have a bacterial infection that is making me take so much C that it is hurting my stomach (the more C I take the more it seems to upset my stomach). I was thinking of dividing it, like 8 grams 4 times a day, whether it reaches bowel tolerance or not. Is this a good idea, or is bowel tolerance nessecary for it to work? (I don't really need relief from symptoms, as it is not bothering me much - the C upset stomach is actually a bigger deal).

giddy

Post Number:#2  Post by giddy » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:37 am

I was wondering, what would happen if you didn't titrate to bowel tolerance and instead, drank half or 3/4 of bowel tolerance? Would it be as effective? Would it upset the stomach more or less?

Cathcart writes:
1) Note that disease symptom curves indicate very little effect on acute symptoms until doses of 80-90% of bowel tolerance are reached. Perhaps it is only near tolerance doses that the ascorbate is pushed into the primary sites of the disease.

is making me take so much C that it is hurting my stomach (the more C I take the more it seems to upset my stomach)

In my personal experience, if I've felt ill enough to take a awful lot of C, and I eat as well - I've had stomach cramps. If I don't eat I don't get the cramping.

is because I have a bacterial infection

I'm not sure how effective C is (on its own) as regards a bacterial infection.

Cathcart thoughts on bacterial infection:
BACTERIAL INFECTIONS

Ascorbic acid should be used with the appropriate antibiotic. The effect of ascorbic acid is synergistic with antibiotics and would appear to broaden the spectrum of antibiotics considerably. I found that penicillin-K orally or penicillin-G intramuscularly used in conjunction with bowel tolerance doses of ascorbic acid would usually treat infections caused by organisms ordinarily requiring ampicillin or other more modern synthetic penicillins. Cephalosporins were used in conjunction with ascorbic acid for staphylococcus infections. The combination of tetracycline and ascorbate was used for nonspecific urethritis; however, patients who had previously repeated recurrences of nonspecific urethritis found they were free of the disease with maintenance doses of ascorbate. I am not sure that the tetracycline was necessary even in the acute cases, but it was used for legal reasons. Some other cases of unknown etiology such as two cases of Reiter's disease and one case of acute anterior uveitis also responded dramatically to ascorbate.

Return to “Bowel Tolerance”