bowel tolerance after only 1 or 2 grams

This forum will focus on the interesting topic of titrating oral vitamin C intake to so-called bowel tolerance, the point just prior to the onset of diarrhea

Moderator: ofonorow

minimaliste

bowel tolerance after only 1 or 2 grams

Post Number:#1  Post by minimaliste » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:47 am

hi, i am new to this forum. i have been taking vitamin c from the foundation off and on for probably 5 months now and i am confused about some things. :?

i can usually take 1 gram fine, but after i take 2 grams i have overshot my bowel tolerance and seem to have uncontrolled diarrhea. literally it just comes out and i have no idea when so i never reach the bathroom in time. i have tried taking it on an empty stomach and also with food. should i be mixing the C with baking soda? would that help with the absorbtion?

does this mean that my body has enough vitamin C and after a gram i no longer need anymore?

i want to do the vitamin C protocol for pregnancy when i am pregnant which calls for 4 grams 1st trimester; 6 grams 2nd trimester; and 10 grams 3rd trimester. i am concerned b/c if i can't even take 2 grams now, how in the world am i supposed to take 10?! (i will post this question about pregnancy in a more appropriate section of the forum as well.)

thanks for any help you can offer!
amanda

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: bowel tolerance after only 1 or 2 grams

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:15 am

minimaliste wrote:hi, i am new to this forum. i have been taking vitamin c from the foundation off and on for probably 5 months now and i am confused about some things. :?

i can usually take 1 gram fine, but after i take 2 grams i have overshot my bowel tolerance and seem to have uncontrolled diarrhea. literally it just comes out and i have no idea when so i never reach the bathroom in time. i have tried taking it on an empty stomach and also with food. should i be mixing the C with baking soda? would that help with the absorbtion?

does this mean that my body has enough vitamin C and after a gram i no longer need anymore?

i want to do the vitamin C protocol for pregnancy when i am pregnant which calls for 4 grams 1st trimester; 6 grams 2nd trimester; and 10 grams 3rd trimester. i am concerned b/c if i can't even take 2 grams now, how in the world am i supposed to take 10?! (i will post this question about pregnancy in a more appropriate section of the forum as well.)

thanks for any help you can offer!
amanda

You should experiment with other forms of the vitamin, and try taking your vitamin C with proteins. According to Dr. Sherry Lewin, proteins tend to "chelate" vitamin C and help its absorption.

One explanation for your experience from your description is that you are not absorbing vitamin C well. That which is not absorbed and reaches the rectum causes diarrhea.

It is interesting that lysine as an amino acid (protein building block) fits Dr. Lewin's prescription (and Lewin's observation may explain a lot of the success of vitamin C and lysine taken together.) You might try Cardio-C and see whether you can tolerate more of this vitamin C/lysine combination before requiring the bathroom.

You sound like you may be a good candidate for the http://www.livonlabs.com lipospheric form (Lypo-C) which is between 2 and 5 times as potent - as ordinary vitamin C, without ANY gas or diarrhea. I would think that 3 to 5 Livon Lypo-C packets are equivalent to 10 g of ordinary vitamin C (as ascorbic acid.)
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Bowel Tolerance”