Bowel Tolerance and pregnancy

This forum will focus on the interesting topic of titrating oral vitamin C intake to so-called bowel tolerance, the point just prior to the onset of diarrhea

Moderator: ofonorow

Roxy

Bowel Tolerance and pregnancy

Post Number:#1  Post by Roxy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:30 am

Hi, I am new on this forum. Is anything known about the safety of taking vitamin C to bowel tolerance during pregnancy? I can find some information about taking routine amounts for health, but nothing about therapeutic doses, for example in the case of a cold. Does anyone have personal experience? Is it true that vitamin C is either oestrogenic in effect or stimulates the production of oestrogen?

Many thanx

Roxy

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Bowel Tolerance and pregnancy

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:35 am

Welcome - good question. I wish we knew more, but vitamin C is one of the forbidden subjects of modern medical science. Dr. Klenner, the early pioneer recommended vitamin C supplements for pregnant women, and young children. My wife's bowel tolerance increased during pregnancy and she took around 9,000 to 10,000 mg during the pregnancy. She and the baby were very healthy.

I do know that taking vitamin C is important for the mother, because nature favors the baby, even if you are low on vitamin C, it will find its to the baby, at the mother's expense, if/when you are lactating.

So taking vitamin C as ascorbic acid is not only safe, it is probably "unsafe" not to supplement. I would not worry about increased tolerance because if you don't take the C, your tissues will be deprived of it. And as far as arguments to the contrary, consider that most other species have vitamin C in their blood stream 24/7.

Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Roxy

Post Number:#3  Post by Roxy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:39 pm

Thank you for your reply. I am six months pregnant and recently felt the beginnings of a cold so automatically started taken all the Vitamin C I could lay my hands on, we ran out when I had taken 25g. No where near my bowel tolerance. It was another pregnant woman that queried whether it was safe, at which point I thought "Ooops, oh yes, I am pregnant", and started looking into it. All I have been able to find is that everyone seems to be unable to say that amounts over 10g a day is safe. As it was 25g didn't hit my cold on the head, but did shorten it's duration considerably.

Roxy

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:58 am

Do you baby a favor, and make sure if you lactate, that you are taking lots of vitamin C, and keep supplementing vitamin C through his/her childhood.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Bowel Tolerance”