vitamin c how often?

This forum will focus on the interesting topic of titrating oral vitamin C intake to so-called bowel tolerance, the point just prior to the onset of diarrhea

Moderator: ofonorow

les

vitamin c how often?

Post Number:#1  Post by les » Tue May 09, 2006 5:46 pm

i am taking 60gms of vitamin c a day,i take 15gms evey 5/6 hours,would it be better to take smaller doses more often.
thanks in advance.
les.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Need More Info

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Tue May 09, 2006 7:02 pm

Why did you select this particular amount? Do you have gas/diarrhea? Why do you think your bowel tolerance is 60,000 mg daily?

If you feel okay, are not having excessive gas, then it is probably not worth tinkering with your intake. For many years, I followed Pauling's example and took 9000 mg twice per day. Every 12 hours.

After reading the Hickey/Roberts ASCORBATE: The Science of Vitamin C, and learning about Dynamic Flow (and the 30 minute half-life in the blood stream), I have adjusted my intake to somewhat smaller dosages more frequently, because this seems closer to what nature "intended" for mammals.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

les

vitamin c how often

Post Number:#3  Post by les » Wed May 10, 2006 5:27 am

hi owen, at the moment 60mgs is the amount i need to reach bowel tolerance,i check it every day,it is either just above 60mgs or below it,
i have very little gas now,i do get diarrhea occasionally,
have just recieved powdered l-lysine & l-proline,i am going to take 2grms of each 4 times a day,im also taking 500mgs of magnesium a day & 240mgs of coq10.
les.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Poor memory

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Wed May 10, 2006 7:42 am

Noted about bowel tolerance. Good. But what I meant was, you must be diagnosed with "something" to require that much ascorbate? Do you have any idea what the underlying condition/problem is? (I seem to remember your name, but not your history)
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

les

vitamin c how often

Post Number:#5  Post by les » Wed May 10, 2006 11:09 am

hi owen,i have had two heart attacks in the last 11 years,the last one in december 04,i have ischaemic heart disease,angina,& arteriosclerosis,
the angina i have under control,i take hawthorn berries,the main problems were,always tired,& feeling unwell all the time,not sleeping well,no appetite,but since i started on the vitamin c things are
now on the up,
i have never felt as well as i do now for years,thanks to yourself & all the other guys on this site.
the only medication i have not stopped is carvedilol.
les.

johnor

Bowel Tolerance

Post Number:#6  Post by johnor » Wed May 10, 2006 2:39 pm

Hi,
I thought bowel tolerance was based on a single dose producing diarhea not 60grams over the day. This is based on 4-6 doses per 24 hour period. Therefore something above 15 grams produces diarhea for you?

Thanks. :D
John

Clark DeBona

How much is too much

Post Number:#7  Post by Clark DeBona » Wed May 10, 2006 5:43 pm

[quote="ofonorow"]Noted about bowel tolerance. Good. But what I meant was, you must be diagnosed with "something" to require that much ascorbate? Do you have any idea what the underlying condition/problem is?

Question : If one is healthy to begin with, taking no medication at all, and is taking about 50 - 60 grams total of ascorbic acid throught the day within two weeks of starting C , in 6 - 8 doses mixed with baking soda, and feels only a little gas, but other wise I feel beter then normal, is there a underlining problem ? Or do I just assimulate things well in my body. How high should I go untill I reach my limit?

Clark

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: vitamin c how often

Post Number:#8  Post by ofonorow » Wed May 10, 2006 6:11 pm

The main problems were,always tired,& feeling unwell all the time,not sleeping well,no appetite,but since i started on the vitamin c things are
now on the up,

les.

Glad you are responding to ascorbate. Your response explains your high tolerance number (I don't understand the johnor comment - bowel tolerance is generally approached via multiple doses during the day. However, too much at one time can cause diarrhea, but the person may not yet be at the daily (saturation) tolerance.)

However, when I hear "always tired", "not sleeping well" and "no appetite." I think of coenzyme Q10, first and foremost. For tiredness, I would recommend taking this supplement from 100 to 300 mg daily amounts. (Your body makes this substance, but less as we age. This substance is absolutely required by every cell to utilize energy).

Another approach is to try increasing that availability of your human growth hormone (HGH). This will aid in sleeping, as well as help your other symptoms, especially along with C/lysine & CoQ10. The product that I have been experimenting with is symbiotropin (developed by James Jameison). There is a long story behind this product, but I can tell you from personal experience that it has a strong postive effect. The effect is similar in many ways to that of high vitamin C, or coQ10. All I can say is try it, follow instructions, and you will be amazed.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: How much is too much

Post Number:#9  Post by ofonorow » Wed May 10, 2006 6:15 pm

Question : If one is healthy to begin with, taking no medication at all, and is taking about 50 - 60 grams total of ascorbic acid throught the day within two weeks of starting C , in 6 - 8 doses mixed with baking soda, and feels only a little gas, but other wise I feel beter then normal, is there a underlining problem ? Or do I just assimulate things well in my body. How high should I go untill I reach my limit?
Clark

Fascinating.

Prior to this report, the highest rate (to our knowledge) by a "healthy person" using ascorbate was by a New Zealander who reported excellent health and found he could metabolize 30 g of vitamin C daily.

If you are really "healthy" and are almost double that amount, you are unique. We would like to learn more about you.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Clark DeBona

Re: How much is too much

Post Number:#10  Post by Clark DeBona » Wed May 10, 2006 7:45 pm

[quote="ofonorow"]

Fascinating.

{Prior to this report, the highest rate (to our knowledge) by a "healthy person" using ascorbate was by a New Zealander who reported excellent health and found he could metabolize 30 g of vitamin C daily.}

Hi, I don't know what to say about my self.
My little book says I am taking 8.28 grams per dose. I am doing this between 6-8 times a day between the hours of 5:00 am to 9:00 to 10:00 at night. If stress counts as a C eater then that may be where the C is going. I do own my busniess.

I had said that one thing I noticed is that my eyes can see the smaller print better then I could three weeks ago. I have more energy throughout the day and I am more calmer under the srtess I am under. I wonder if it will make me a better speller. If you have any questions for me just ask away.

Clark

johnor

Understanding bowel tolerance

Post Number:#11  Post by johnor » Wed May 10, 2006 10:25 pm

Hi,
Owen says that he doesn't understand my comments on bowel tolerance. He says that bowel tolerance is based on the whole day. I think that the whole idea of bowel tolerance is quite badly muddled to begin with. If , for example I take 5g and 2 hours later take 5g and 2 hours later take 5 g and get diarrhea is my bowel tolerance 15 g or 5g? I say this because supposing that after I get diarrhea, 2 hours later I dose with 4g and don't get diarrhea. Is my new bowel tolerance 19g or 4g? Supposing further, that another 2 hours later I take 4g more and don't get diarrhea. Is my new bowel tolerance 23 g or 4g. I guess I just don't get what Cathcart is getting to. Is he saying that bowel tolerance is achieved at the end of all the evenly divided doses or what?

Drifting into an Unconscious Stupor
John :?

SEADOG

Post Number:#12  Post by SEADOG » Wed May 10, 2006 10:38 pm

I think what johnor is saying makes perfect sense. It has set me thinking too.
Could the other knowledgeable VC enthusiasts shed some light on this.

Many thanks

les

vitamin c how often

Post Number:#13  Post by les » Thu May 11, 2006 12:47 pm

hi guys,since starting the vit c therapy at the end of march my health has slowly but surely got better,
i'm sleeping better,eating more & getting my energy back,i am taking 240mg of coq10 ,8 grms of l-proline,4grms of l-lysine & 500mg of magnesium.
les.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Understanding bowel tolerance

Post Number:#14  Post by ofonorow » Thu May 11, 2006 1:18 pm

Hi,
Owen says that he doesn't understand my comments on bowel tolerance. He says that bowel tolerance is based on the whole day. I think that the whole idea of bowel tolerance is quite badly muddled to begin with. If , for example I take 5g and 2 hours later take 5g and 2 hours later take 5 g and get diarrhea is my bowel tolerance 15 g or 5g? I say this because supposing that after I get diarrhea, 2 hours later I dose with 4g and don't get diarrhea. Is my new bowel tolerance 19g or 4g? Supposing further, that another 2 hours later I take 4g more and don't get diarrhea. Is my new bowel tolerance 23 g or 4g. I guess I just don't get what Cathcart is getting to. Is he saying that bowel tolerance is achieved at the end of all the evenly divided doses or what?

Drifting into an Unconscious Stupor
John :?

Well, for the sake of argument - one takes 100 g of vitamin C at one time. This person will most likely get a bad case of diarrhea, but it does not mean that his bowel tolerance (that Cathcart wrote his paper about) has been reached. (The person may be suffering mono - and require 200 to 300 g that day.)

What has been reached is the ability to absorb ascorbate in the gut.

Cathcart is talking about the ability of tissues to use ascorbate, as translated into an increased ability to absorb in a 24 hour period. The key feature of the Cathcart tolerance method is the feeling of well being (feeling better at least) just before true tolerance is reached.

And yes, it is tricky. So in your first example, your tolerance is 15 g (Note in Cathcart's paper that he mentions the frequency of 4 to 6, but sometimes 15 doses per 24 hours.)
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: vitamin c how often

Post Number:#15  Post by ofonorow » Thu May 11, 2006 1:19 pm

hi guys,since starting the vit c therapy at the end of march my health has slowly but surely got better,
i'm sleeping better,eating more & getting my energy back,i am taking 240mg of coq10 ,8 grms of l-proline,4grms of l-lysine & 500mg of magnesium.
les.

Good news Les. Keep us informed.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Return to “Bowel Tolerance”