Why is my tolerance better for powder than tablets?

This forum will focus on the interesting topic of titrating oral vitamin C intake to so-called bowel tolerance, the point just prior to the onset of diarrhea

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Why is my tolerance better for powder than tablets?

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:43 am

Hi Owen,

Just one question: I am taking up to 4 scoops (Pauling therapy product) a day and yet my bowel movements haven't changed. When I was taking that amount in tablet form I would get loose bowel movements. Why is this do you know?

Warm regards
P.V.

Maybe there was magnesium sterate in the tablets?

please confirm the product that are you are taking 4 scoops of, and what was the dosage/frequency of the tablets?

Sounds like your tolerance for vitamin C is quite high. Have you read http://www.orthomed.com/titrate.htm?

Another thought just occurred to me as I posted this, perhaps the powder is better absorbed because of the lysine. We know from Sherry Lewin (1976) that proteins (amino acids) help to chelate ascorbic acid in the gut making it better absorbed.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Ralph Lotz
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Why is my tolerance better for powder than tablets?

Post Number:#2  Post by Ralph Lotz » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:55 am

Perhaps more of the powder is actually being absorbed?
Tablets sometimes don't break down until in the lower small intestine or colon because of excipients or too much compression.
In the colon the excess ascorbic acid draws in water and just becomes a laxative.
"Unless we put medical freedom into the constitution...medicine will organize into an undercover dictatorship..force people who wish doctors and treatment of their own choice to submit to only what..dictating outfit offers." Dr. Benjamin Rush

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:54 am

Hi Owen, thanks for your reply. I was taking "Blackmores" 1000mg Vitamin C Bioflavanoids". I could take around 5 and i would have loose bowel motions.

I am currently taking your Cardio C powder.

I will read the link you have sent.

Warm regards
P. V.

I viewed: http://www.blackmores.com.au/Products/D ... uctID=1822

Interesting. I note the 400 mg of calcium ascorbate per tablet, so five tablets gives you 2000 mg of calcium ascorbate. Depending on the fraction of calcium, that may be too much. We also don't know how the citrus extract reacts with vitamin C - and visa versa - in the gut.

By the way, I had never heard that specific aluminum warning before
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Ralph Lotz
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by Ralph Lotz » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:51 am

5 tablets would provide around 200 mg of calcium.
Dr. Levy recommends zero calcium intake from supplements because most of the calcium will end up in soft tissues and arteries without vitamin K supplementation. He recommends against using calcium ascorbate.
"Unless we put medical freedom into the constitution...medicine will organize into an undercover dictatorship..force people who wish doctors and treatment of their own choice to submit to only what..dictating outfit offers." Dr. Benjamin Rush

alive

Post Number:#5  Post by alive » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:27 am

ofonorow wrote:
We also don't know how the citrus extract reacts with vitamin C - and visa versa - in the gut. [/color].

I take my buffered vit C with water and a squirt of lemon juice every time.
Should I not be taking lemon juice with my C?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#6  Post by ofonorow » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:13 am

I do not know of any reason to worry about a squirt of lemon juice. Should be fine.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

alive

Post Number:#7  Post by alive » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:19 am

ofonorow wrote:I do not know of any reason to worry about a squirt of lemon juice. Should be fine.

I was just thinking it could possibly be adding to the acidity of the whole drink (I drink buffered vit C), thus making my stomach even more sour = more diarrhea.

Another thing:
I read Magnesium Oxide does neutralise stomach acid, which is bad, as it can give diarrhea.
However, maybe it could be used to an advantage when used in combination with ascorbic acid, as the latter is acidic. The Mg Oxide possibly make the vit C/Mg Oxide combo less acidic, yet still not neutralise stomach acid?

Any thoughts?

VanCanada

Post Number:#8  Post by VanCanada » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:53 am

A healthy stomach has a normal fasting pH (acidity level) between l and 2 (one million times more acid than water).

-from http://www.publix.com/wellness/notes/Di ... =Acid_Test

Acidity of Lemon Juice varies from 2.00 to 2.60

If you are not familiar with the meaning of pH levels this means lemon jiuce is less "sour" than your empty stomach. Your stomach is the most acidic part of your whole body. I think your concerns about lemon juice taken in moderation are unfounded. If you're having problems taking lemon juice then look into it more. If not, just chill out.

ascorbicjoe
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#9  Post by ascorbicjoe » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:11 am

Personally, I have found that powder mixed with baking soda in water will drive me to bowel tolerance much faster than tablets.

My belief is that tablets need to be broken down and put into a solution first in the stomach. When I take a solution that is already in a state completely natural to the body, sodium ascorbate, it just flows right in. It is absorbed very quickly.

Make sure you take a lot of water with your tablets to at least increase the dissolving of the tablets into a solution.

I have never tried taking tablets with bicarbonate soda at the same time. My guess is it would aid absorption, but you will burp a lot. The CO2 released in my glass before I drink that mixture is considerable, so that gas will be in your stomach instead.

Return to “Bowel Tolerance”