Mechanism of bowel movement induced by C mega dose ?

This forum will focus on the interesting topic of titrating oral vitamin C intake to so-called bowel tolerance, the point just prior to the onset of diarrhea

Moderator: ofonorow

Lunar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mechanism of bowel movement induced by C mega dose ?

Post Number:#1  Post by Lunar » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:01 pm

Hi,
being chronically constipated, I often megadose to bowel movement level, which I get between 7 to 12 grams on empty stomach.
The more I take between this range, the faster it is induced.

Do we know what cause this bowel movement ? I heard conflicting explanations:

- It causes bowel movement because of water pressure, and is not harmful
- It causes bowel movement because it irritates bowel, like mechanism of irritant laxatives

Which is true ?

majkinetor
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: Mechanism of bowel movement induced by C mega dose ?

Post Number:#2  Post by majkinetor » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:22 am

It causes bowel movement because of osmotic pressure. This is the same as with other diarrhetic agents like lactulose for instance, or MgSulfate. For the same reason it causes more frequent urination.

You shouldn't treat constipation with it. Remove lots of fiber from diet if you have it, its enough to have just a bit, switch to lower carb diet and increase saturated fat usage. Coffee is also good.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:49 am

You shouldn't treat constipation with it.

I wonder what you base this advice on - not to treat constipation with vitamin C? I think this would be a good way, perhaps the best way. And why would you recommend cutting down on fiber in someone who is constipated? I know my mind is slow these days, but this does not make sense to me.

Dr. Cathcart did believe that vitamin C that reaches the rectum perhaps "pulls" water into the rectum.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

majkinetor
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#4  Post by majkinetor » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:50 am

Yes it does, however, that is not what you normally want from vitamin C. You want it in blood, not in rectum. Its probably the best way out there if you want to get diarrhea.

Overusing fiber is also bad. Bacteria feed on it and produce alcohol and if you overuse it, in combination with constipation, that can kill them and create dysbiosis. The best way is to use some pro/prebiotics and use more fat in the diet. Some small amounts of natural fiber are OK, like apple or two a day.

Return to “Bowel Tolerance”