Sick last week with some virus, knocked it out with C

This forum will focus on the interesting topic of titrating oral vitamin C intake to so-called bowel tolerance, the point just prior to the onset of diarrhea

Moderator: ofonorow

Jacquie
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Sick last week with some virus, knocked it out with C

Post Number:#1  Post by Jacquie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:47 pm

A week and a half ago I got a nasty flu-like bug. Went to bed feeling alright and woke up with sinus pressure, headache, and malaise - sick as a dog. I didn't even wanna get out of bed, but I dragged into the kitchen and took 20 grams sodium ascorbate. Went back to bed. Another 10 grams 1/2 hour later, then another, then I switched to time-release ascorbic acid tablets. By evening, I'd taken about 110 grams (never managed to hit bowel tolerance, but I drank so much water with the C that I had to slow down). Took about 12 grams time-release at midnight, then woke around 9 am feeling mostly normal. Weak, but the horrible sinus pressure, headache, and malaise had vanished.

That's what I expected to happen, but it's still cool. I've never recovered from illness this fast in my life, before high-dose C. Even antibiotics (for bacterial infections) don't work this quick. I love it. :D

BTW, it took another week before my BT dropped down to normal, so the virus was presumably still active. I'd just got control of the free-radical cascade, and my white blood cells were finishing up the battle.

Edit: Forgot to mention - my temperature was just over 100 °F that whole day, and back down to normal the next morning.
Last edited by Jacquie on Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NiacinVC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Sick last week with some virus, knocked it out with C

Post Number:#2  Post by NiacinVC » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:10 pm

Thats awesome! Lots of C and fluids to flush your system=quickest way to get over anything
"When one's expectations are reduced to zero, one really appreciates everything one does have"- Steven Hawking

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#3  Post by Dolev » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:33 pm

BTW, it took another week before my BT dropped down to normal, so the virus was presumably still active.

That's consistent with what I remember someone (maybe Pauling, maybe Levi) saying, that you need to keep taking higher doses of vitamin C for as long as you would have been sick without it.

What doses did you take the days following?
Dolev

Jacquie
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#4  Post by Jacquie » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:12 pm

Let's see... the next day (Thursday) I did reach bowel tolerance, at close to the same dosing - maybe 90 grams the whole day.

Friday it had dropped to ~50 grams (8 grams time-release at a time, about 4 hours apart. Woke up in the middle of the night and took it, too).

Then it stayed around 35 - 40 grams a day (6 - 7 gram doses) for a few days (through Monday), before tapering back down to my normal 13 g/d over a couple more days.

90 grams - Thursday
    50 grams - Friday
    40 grams - Saturday
    ~35 grams - Sunday
    ~35 grams - Monday
    ~25 grams - Tuesday
    ~20 grams - Wednesday
    ~20 grams - Thursday
    13 grams - Friday

Return to “Bowel Tolerance”