High Cost of C Complex Products

What is vitamin C? Is there such a thing as a vitamin C complex? Why do so many people now believe in the complex?

Moderator: ofonorow

blueskymyne

natural source C

Post Number:#1  Post by blueskymyne » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:53 am

http://drbenkim.com/articles-vitamins.html

http:www.garden of life usa.com/detail_living_vitaminC.shtml

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: natural source C

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:46 am

blueskymyne wrote:http://drbenkim.com/articles-vitamins.html

http:www.garden of life usa.com/detail_living_vitaminC.shtml

First of all, thank you for this reference. It is excellent and clearly illustrates the "problem." ( I should probably split this into its own thread, but I need to preserve the comments by Catherine in context.)

Ben Kim is entitled to his opinion, but I could not find one accurate sentence in his dicussion of vitamin C. I'm not sure where he got this information (but I can guess... Standard Process)

The bottom lini is that there is almost no truth what-so-ever in this description and discussion of vitamin C. So Catherine, this isn't about arguing - it is about holding people, and their reputations, accountable.

A good example is vitamin C.

If you take a look at a variety of vitamin C supplements, you will find that the majority of them contain only ascorbic acid or a compound called ascorbate, which is a less acidic form of acorbic acid. Ascorbic acid is NOT vitamin C. It represents the outer ring that serves as a protective shell for the entire vitamin C complex, much like an orange peel that serves as a protective shell for an orange.

Real vitamin C found in whole foods like fruits and vegetables contain the following components:

Rutin
Bioflavonoids (vitamin P)
Factor K
Factor J
Factor P
Tyrosinase
Ascorbinogen
Ascorbic Acid

When you take only ascorbic acid found in your synthetic vitamin C tablet or powder, your body must gather all of the other components of the full vitamin C complex from your body’s tissues in order to make use of it. In the event that your body does not have adequate reserves of the other components, ascorbic acid itself does not provide any of the health benefits that the full vitamin C complex does. After circulating through your system, the unused ascorbic acid is eliminated through your urine.

Just like vitamin C, almost all other vitamins that we know of offer their full health benefits when they are in the presence of a number of enzymes, co-enzymes, co-factors, and even minerals. For example, Vitamin D may have as many as twelve different active components, while vitamin P has at least five different components. The mineral copper is needed for full vitamin C activity, while vitamin E works closely with the mineral selenium to provide its health promoting, anti-oxidative effect.

Clearly, it is best to get your vitamins from whole foods because whole foods provide complete vitamins rather than fractions of them. In many cases, whole foods also provide the minerals that are necessary for optimal vitamin activity. For example, sunflower seeds are an excellent whole food source of vitamin E and the mineral selenium, both of which need each other to offer their full health benefits.

B- What about this do you find particularly persuasive?
Last edited by ofonorow on Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Right ABout The Business

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:44 am

I was thinking I might purchase a bottle of Ben Kim's Natural C - and have it analyzed to find out how much vitamin C it really contained, but found this
http://drbenkim.com/natural-vitamin-c-benefits.htm

I'm not certain of my math (I'm sure others will correct the errors) but it looks like we could provide the same amount of vitamin C as Ben Kim - and charge $378+ DOLLARS per jar! (So I may have to rethink my objection to your idea Catherine)

Apparently, the Jar comes with 500 g (500,000 mg) with 87 (or so?) servings of 5700 mg. The bad news is that each serving provides 270 mg of vitamin C.

I tried various ways to calculate the amount of vitamin C per bottle and computed 18 to 23 g (18000 to 23,000 mg)

So 87 servings * 270 mg per serving = 23,490 mg or 23.5 g

The cost per jar of Ben Kim's C is $28.97

Note: roughly $1 per 1 g of vitamin C.

So if we priced like this by adding some "cherry filler" we might get away with charging $300 (for our 300 g Non-GMO, hypoallerginic Ascorbic Acid )

p.s. No wonder he (and other D.C.s like him) need a good story!!
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

blueskymyne

Re: Right ABout The Business

Post Number:#4  Post by blueskymyne » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:53 pm

ofonorow wrote:I was thinking I might purchase a bottle of Ben Kim's Natural C - and have it analyzed to find out how much vitamin C it really contained, but found this
http://drbenkim.com/natural-vitamin-c-benefits.htm

I'm not certain of my math (I'm sure others will correct the errors) but it looks like we could provide the same amount of vitamin C as Ben Kim - and charge $378+ DOLLARS per jar! (So I may have to rethink my objection to your idea Catherine)

Apparently, the Jar comes with 500 g (500,000 mg) with 87 (or so?) servings of 5700 mg. The bad news is that each serving provides 270 mg of vitamin C.

I tried various ways to calculate the amount of vitamin C per bottle and computed 18 to 23 g (18000 to 23,000 mg)

So 87 servings * 270 mg per serving = 23,490 mg or 23.5 g

The cost per jar of Ben Kim's C is $28.97

Note: roughly $1 per 1 g of vitamin C.

So if we priced like this by adding some "cherry filler" we might get away with charging $300 (for our 300 g Non-GMO, hypoallerginic Ascorbic Acid )

p.s. No wonder he (and other D.C.s like him) need a good story!!

Ill give Ben Kim and Tim O'shea credit to being a hell of a lot knowledgeable about empiracle health as opposed to someone who "reccomends" ascorbic ACID for every single health problem that ailes mankind.

I took 4 containers of ascorbic acid I bought from the foundation that I purchased on the monthly plan.

Problem was they were piling up. The agreement was once a month. Not two containers a month.

A mistake? I doubt it since the billing went straight to the card by the time you make the correction two more were on the way and billed. What part of the "check box" is misunderstood about ONCE A MONTH.

Since I no longer believe in taking extracted ACID, which throws off my HOMEOSTASIS and P.H.

I took the plastic seal off them walked out to my trash can and dumped it in the garbage and then walked back in the house and rinsed them out. Thats a fact.

They make great storage containers. Thats a fact also. Expensive ones at that.

Speaking of D.Cs what are your creditials " Dr. Fonnorow" other than riding the coat tails of a pied piper in a green hat with a flute and quoting advice to people because you "read two books"?

Actually I think when your touting that "bowell tollerance" as an "art" and giving that advice out on the web as a "doctor" that if someone suffers hemolysis and dies as a result id say your in pretty big trouble.

Especially since I read the works of Cathcart and many of his paragraphs had the words "I hypothesize". Are you willing to make advice on hypothesis especially when John Ely even mentions hemolysis of the blood?

Hows that for a "cherry filler" Mr. Fonorow. "Dr."

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Hard to follow

Post Number:#5  Post by ofonorow » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:26 am

If this blood condition had anything to do with too much vitamin C, why isn't it common among all animals?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemolysis_(microbiology)

But I don't see how it is relevant to the topic, that "Doctor" Ben Kim is charging $1 per gram of vitamin C.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

blueskymyne

Re: Hard to follow

Post Number:#6  Post by blueskymyne » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:44 am

ofonorow wrote:If this blood condition had anything to do with too much vitamin C, why isn't it common among all animals?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemolysis_(microbiology)

But I don't see how it is relevant to the topic, that "Doctor" Ben Kim is charging $1 per gram of vitamin C.

Owen,

I hold Linus Pauling, Otto Warburg, Guenter Enderlien, Johanna Budwig and others in high regard equally because of their contributions to humanity. I want to make that clear.

I appologize for the remarks and hold you in equal respect as Kim and O'shea and the work you do here.

I just think that people like O'shea deserve some credit. I have read everything in his "chapters" section and think that he is entitled to more than just having a "good story" because he covers many empiracle health issues. That is why I flew off the handle.

It obviously hit a nerve among several here about his topic on ascorbic acid and conflicts with the beliefs here.

That in no way alters my belief in vitamin C. We are just different and need to respect each others beliefs.

My appologies once again for the remarks. It was an anger rant and that is all it was.

I really dont want to disrupt this site anymore.

Have a good one.

Ralph Lotz
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

hemolysis of the blood

Post Number:#7  Post by Ralph Lotz » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:51 pm

Some people, especially from Africa, the Mediterranean and Southeast Asia, suffer from a genetic condition called G6PD Deficiency. Its most severe form is favism.

G6PD Deficiency is a hereditary abnormality in the activity of an erythrocyte (red blood cell) enzyme. This enzyme, glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G-6-PD), is essential for assuring a normal life span for red blood cells, and for oxidizing processes. This enzyme deficiency may provoke the sudden destruction of red blood cells and lead to hemolytic anemia with jaundice following the intake of fava beans, certain legumes and various drugs (see a complete list of drugs and foodstuffs to avoid).

http://www.g6pd.org/favism/english/index.mv?pgid=intro

Ascorbic acid has a low risk level to all types suffering from this malady to cause hemolytic anemia.

The antidote for hemolytic anemia is Vitamin E, d'alpha tocopherol.
"Unless we put medical freedom into the constitution...medicine will organize into an undercover dictatorship..force people who wish doctors and treatment of their own choice to submit to only what..dictating outfit offers." Dr. Benjamin Rush

Return to “Ascorbic Acid versus Vitamin C Complex”