anyone read HOW NOT TO DIE,

This forum is where we intend to file all discussions that are not relevant to Vitamin C.

Moderator: ofonorow

johnjackson
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

anyone read HOW NOT TO DIE,

Post Number:#1  Post by johnjackson » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:52 pm

I saw this book advertise and Im really curious what it says about heart disease(CAD)
has anyone read it?

HOW NOT TO DIE, an instant New York Times Best Seller
Michael Greger, M.D.

The vast majority of premature deaths can be prevented through simple changes in diet and lifestyle. In How Not to Die, Dr. Michael Greger, the internationally-recognized lecturer, physician, and founder of NutritionFacts.org, examines the fifteen top causes of death in America—heart disease, various cancers, diabetes, Parkinson’s, high blood pressure, and more—and explains how nutritional and lifestyle interventions can sometimes trump prescription pills and other pharmaceutical and surgical approaches, freeing us to live healthier lives.

The simple truth is that most doctors are good at treating acute illnesses but bad at preventing chronic disease. The 15 leading causes of death claim the lives of 1.6 million Americans annually. This doesn’t have to be the case. By following Dr. Greger’s advice, all of it backed up by peer-reviewed scientific evidence, you will learn which foods to eat and which lifestyle changes to make to live longer.

History of prostate cancer in your family? Put down that glass of milk and add flaxseed to your diet. Have high blood pressure? Hibiscus tea can work better than a leading hypertensive drug—and without the side effects. What about liver disease? Drinking coffee can reduce liver inflammation. Battling breast cancer? Consuming soy is associated with prolonged survival. Worried about heart disease (our #1 killer)? Switch to a whole-food, plant-based diet, which has been repeatedly shown not just to help prevent the disease, but arrest and even reverse it.

In addition to showing what to eat to help prevent the top 15 causes of death, How Not to Die includes Dr. Greger’s Daily Dozen—a checklist of the foods we should try to consume every day. Full of practical, actionable advice and surprising, cutting-edge nutritional science, these doctor’s orders are just what we need to live longer, healthier lives.
/www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/12154.php

medcraveonline.com/JCCR/JCCR-09-00341.php

//riordanclinic.org/2014/02/high-dose-intravenous-vitamin-c-as-a-successful-treatment-of-viral-infections/

lpa
http://www.drkaslow.com/html/lipoprotein_a.html

bluemustang
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Re: anyone read HOW NOT TO DIE,

Post Number:#2  Post by bluemustang » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:06 pm

johnjackson wrote:I saw this book advertise and Im really curious what it says about heart disease(CAD)
has anyone read it?

HOW NOT TO DIE, an instant New York Times Best Seller
Michael Greger, M.D.

The vast majority of premature deaths can be prevented through simple changes in diet and lifestyle. In How Not to Die, Dr. Michael Greger, the internationally-recognized lecturer, physician, and founder of NutritionFacts.org, examines the fifteen top causes of death in America—heart disease, various cancers, diabetes, Parkinson’s, high blood pressure, and more—and explains how nutritional and lifestyle interventions can sometimes trump prescription pills and other pharmaceutical and surgical approaches, freeing us to live healthier lives.

The simple truth is that most doctors are good at treating acute illnesses but bad at preventing chronic disease. The 15 leading causes of death claim the lives of 1.6 million Americans annually. This doesn’t have to be the case. By following Dr. Greger’s advice, all of it backed up by peer-reviewed scientific evidence, you will learn which foods to eat and which lifestyle changes to make to live longer.

History of prostate cancer in your family? Put down that glass of milk and add flaxseed to your diet. Have high blood pressure? Hibiscus tea can work better than a leading hypertensive drug—and without the side effects. What about liver disease? Drinking coffee can reduce liver inflammation. Battling breast cancer? Consuming soy is associated with prolonged survival. Worried about heart disease (our #1 killer)? Switch to a whole-food, plant-based diet, which has been repeatedly shown not just to help prevent the disease, but arrest and even reverse it.

In addition to showing what to eat to help prevent the top 15 causes of death, How Not to Die includes Dr. Greger’s Daily Dozen—a checklist of the foods we should try to consume every day. Full of practical, actionable advice and surprising, cutting-edge nutritional science, these doctor’s orders are just what we need to live longer, healthier lives.

its worth a read, thanks, is there a free copy anywhere? Any thoughts about whole grains and gluten?

Robert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by Robert » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:20 pm

Free? I have it on Audible where the first book is free whether you join or not. Yes, it's an amazing book and Dr Gregor has a similarly titled 'How Not To Diet' just out. I found it interesting that he primarily espouses fruit and veg but measures compliance by

'how much vitamin C participants had in their bloodstreams. The level of vitamin C in the blood was considered a “good biomarker of plant food intake” and hence was used as a proxy for a healthy diet. The conclusions held up. The drop in mortality risk among those with healthier habits was equivalent to being fourteen years younger.'

Greger, Michael. How Not To Die: Discover the foods scientifically proven to prevent and reverse disease (p. 8 ). Pan Macmillan. Kindle Edition.

I've made the switch to veganism for many reasons so these books are of significant interest to me.
Last edited by Robert on Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnjackson
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#4  Post by johnjackson » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:11 pm

the HOW NOT TO DIET< sounds interesting

why veganism? why not vegetarian?
vegans cant use leather shoes or take certain supplements, like k2, because THEY USE Animals!! lol right?

off topic, but I never heard of using vitamin C in the bloodstream as a maker, but that makes sense, I see peolpe who arent healthy and i think they would be better of with just a few grams of vitamin C

//riordanclinic.org/2014/02/high-dose-intravenous-vitamin-c-as-a-successful-treatment-of-viral-infections/

lpa

Robert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#5  Post by Robert » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:21 pm

I'm a neophyte on Day 10 of my vegan diet. My wife on the other hand has been a lacto-vegetarian for 35 years.

I've been using Life Extension Super K since I heard about it on this forum in April. I'm going to continue using it. I think supplement manufacturers utilize a Japanese fermented soya bean product called natto which has many times more K2 than meat or dairy products.

Reasons vary why people are vegan:
i) Dr Michael Greger seems to only argue for its health benefit.
ii) Others are bothered about animals rights and species egalitarianism and wear plastic shoes lol.
iii) And others are entirely driven by environmental concerns about cow farts and sustainability.

Vegans with dietary motivations try to acheive a LDL cholesterol of 50 to 70. I want to see if expelling dairy from my diet eradicates my long term asthma. I saw a blood test for a meat eater trying veganism for 30 days reduce his c reactive protein by 80%. A similar result might cure me.

johnjackson
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#6  Post by johnjackson » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:06 pm

I understand why people are vegans, but i dont see health improving via veganism vs vegetarism

vegans cant use k2, because k2 uses bacteria! and vegans cant wear leather shoes, etc

vegetarism is something I am on board with
but I think you need to do whatever you need to do to get healthy
I use k2 and koncentrated K2, jut because it has MORE k2
heres a link
https://www.amazon.com/Koncentrated-All ... 872&sr=8-5

I agree with losing the dairy outta your diet and lowering ldl, i think you are doing great by being proactive and changing diet to get the results you want
before I came here, I was on this forum linked below a lot
all about mens hormones, plant based diets
some gold there
https://www.peaktestosterone.com/Hdr_Diet.aspx

lpa

Robert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#7  Post by Robert » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:09 pm

I like the sound of that brand of K2, I have enough Super K for 100 days so next time.

There is a wealth of info in your peak testosterone link. I'll get busy reading; I see they like Dr. Dean Ornish the vegan doctor known for his blood pressure lowering diet.

johnjackson
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#8  Post by johnjackson » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:03 am

yeah, that is a good site,
I was on the forum for a while, those guys DO NOT THINK highly of vit C, at least when i was posting
then the forum admin died,
heart attack? no
cancer..no

texting an driving,,,He and I were e-friends

lpa

farside
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#9  Post by farside » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:03 pm

I have the book and it completely sold me on the benefits of cutting out meat, fish and dairy.
The book is full of scientific, evidence based facts and papers to back-up the author's claims.
The book also makes some supplement recommendations : B12, omega3 from algae oil, for example.

Don't get hung up about minor things like K2 - just take it! It is small fry (!) compared to the huge benefits a change in diet brings.
Whether you wear leather shoes or not won't affect your health!

johnjackson
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#10  Post by johnjackson » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:33 am

k2 isnt a minor thing!
change in diet is great, a low fat, high nitrate diet is awesome for sex, blood pressure, general health
I like dr John Mcdougall, who is a lot like dr dean ornish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyRuDpqYuvY
this is where he talks about the perks of a vegetarian diet that is low in fat

lpa

farside
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#11  Post by farside » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:03 pm

k2 isnt a minor thing!

Totally agree - I mean to say, just take it whether you are vegan or not!

Robert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#12  Post by Robert » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:15 pm

Having followed Dr Greger's 'How Not to Die' and veganism since the beginning of January 2020 my results have been good (32 days in). Total Cholesterol now 139, LDL 79, TC/HDL ratio 3:3. I was 208 TC in the past I recall. I had a comprehensive bloods panel done for the first time in many years, most everything was excellent. I'm still on my asthma meds though; when I deliberately miss a few doses I start to cough up mucous.

I also got the sad news today that my beloved mother has been diagnosed with coronary heart disease. She is 76 and was struggling to walk for the past year, we thought a nerve had gone in her leg but it is circulation problems. She doesn't take vitamin C nor is vegan so I will offer her my opinions.

farside
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#13  Post by farside » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:26 pm

One thing I forgot to mention - Greger's book does not mention Pauling Therapy.
There is a section titled "It's the cholesterol, stupid!" which suggests he subscribes to the lipid theory of arterial disease - which is very different to Linus Pauling's view. There are also sections on lowering blood cholesterol by diet.

Having said all that, it is still a very good book!

Robert
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#14  Post by Robert » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:01 pm

I think there is real convergence though. The "It's the cholesterol, stupid!" is referencing William C Roberts
(editor in chief of the American Journal of Cardiology for more than thirty years; executive director of the Baylor Heart and Vascular Institute
; authored more than a thousand scientific publications; written more than a dozen textbooks on cardiology, etc. etc.)

Following your musings about cholesterol levels in big cats I found Dr Robert's fascinating 'Twenty questions on atherosclerosis' https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1312295/

He writes
Atherosclerosis affects only herbivores. Dogs, cats, tigers, and lions can be saturated with fat and cholesterol, and atherosclerotic plaques do not develop

But Dr Roberts goes on to say
Carnivores produce their own vitamin C, whereas herbivores obtain it from their diet. Thus, humans have characteristics of herbivores, not carnivores.

So elevated cholesterol, especially LDL, damaged our arteries because we as herbivores don't produce Vitamin C. Just as happened in the denigrated Rabbits study. In other words if we'd been munching on Vit C rich vegan foods our entire lives humans wouldn't be in this mess. But at this stage of our artery-wrecking former omnivorous lives Vitamin C megadosing makes absolute sense.

Sadly he wanders on to a pro-statin spiel as few Americans are willing to go the 'pure vegetarian-fruit eater' route.

musashie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#15  Post by musashie » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:14 am

johnjackson wrote:I use k2 and koncentrated K2, jut because it has MORE k2
heres a link
Looks like a good alternative to Super K. Thanks for link.

Return to “Rants and Misc. Health”