strange virus that vitamin C could not beat

The discussion of how Vitamin C cures infection based on Thomas E Levy book: Curing the Incurable: Vitamin C, Infectious disease and toxins.

Moderator: ofonorow

mike.molyneaux

strange virus that vitamin C could not beat

Post Number:#1  Post by mike.molyneaux » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:30 am

Here's a case of a strange virus that vitamin C could not beat. My illness started like a case of typical influenza, so I immediately started with 2 grams Calcium Ascorbate in orange juice every 2 hours, increased dose rate until bowel intolerance - loose stool. The illness seemed resistant so after 3 days I consulted my doctor who suspected a viral infection. He prescribed cough mixture and encouraged me to continue vitamin C therapy. After 5 days my fever was peaking at 104 degrees F. Second visit to doctor and same advice. I continued with 2.5 grams Vitamin C every 2 hours. After 6 days my doctor sent me to hospital where tests confirmed a viral infection but still no help from Vitamin C. 7th day my stool was so loose/liquid frequent I had an IV drip installed. To try lessen diarrhea I reduced Vit C to 1 gram every 2 hours. The disease then reached peak severity after 8 days but I discontinued vitamin C because the diarrhea was so bad. Eventually recovered without any further vitamin C. What could have gone wrong?

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: strange virus that vitamin C could not beat

Post Number:#2  Post by pamojja » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:51 am

Though I don't know why it wouldn't work in your case, but I have some questions.

I wouldn't use calcium ascorbate for titrating to bowel tolerance, the calcium load you get is far too much. Why you didn't use ascorbic acid which appears to be the most effective?

What was your bowel tolerance on different days? - did you keep track of your intake? Have you experimented with bowel tolerance before, or was this your first attempt?

thanks for any answers.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:05 am

started with 2 grams Calcium Ascorbate in orange juice every 2 hours

See: http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/surefire.shtml

We would not have predicted that the dosage you decided to take would have altered the course of a severe flu. Note we would have recommended 8000 mg every 20 minutes for 2 to 3 hours at the earliest signs of the illness.

Also, any form of vitamin C other than ascorbic acid would be predicted to have half the potency of a mineral ascorbate. And as the previous poster noted, titrating with calcium ascorbate is probably unwise. We recommend either ascorbic acid or sodium ascorbate.

Once the infection has taken hold, your only recourse is to follow Dr. Cathcart's instructions, http://www.orthomed.com/titrate.htm and take vitamin C to bowel tolerance, to reduce the symptoms.

Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

mike.molyneaux

Post Number:#4  Post by mike.molyneaux » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:12 pm

For a few years I have been using megadoses of ascorbate taken until bowel intolerance [at about 2 grams per 2 hours] for treating viral infections. My daughter, when ill, experiences bowel intolerance at about 1 gram every 2 hours. I should point out that my recent illness was not just seasonal influenza. It started with cough, headaches, joint aches and fever. After that the illness became more severe including diarrhea, chicken pox-like rash, blood discharges from my nose and fluid retention in the scrotum with severely swollen testicles. Doctors were baffled.

Medical studies indicate that the absorption of orally ingested ascorbate by the body is not proportional to the amount ingested. “New insights into the physiology and pharmacology of vitamin C” - Sebastian J. Padayatty and Mark Levine
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC80729/
"When taken orally, ascorbic acid is well absorbed at lower doses, but absorption decreases as the dose increases." This was determined by measuring ascorbate in blood plasma and urine. The surplus ascorbate is excreted in the urine. Thus a plateau effect [for absorption] starts occuring at around 1.5 grams ascorbic acid ingested. The research indicates little additional benefit of megadoses beyond about 3 grams [taken orally] and confirmed my experience that I experienced bowel intolerance at 2.5 grams consumed every 2 hours. I was consuming about 24 grams per day and urinating every 2 hours. I can’t see how any additional consumption beyond bowel intolerance levels [24 grams per day] could be more beneficial. "Only when ascorbic acid is administered intravenously, the limiting absorptive mechanism is bypassed and very high plasma levels are attained."

Comment about taking calcium ascorbate:- My understanding of the literature is that ascorbate is the effective agent. According to Jane Higdon, R.N., Ph.D. of the Linus Pauling Institute – “Mineral salts of ascorbic acid (mineral ascorbates) are buffered and therefore less acidic. Thus, mineral ascorbates are often recommended to people who experience gastrointestinal problems (abdominal pain or diarrhea) with plain ascorbic acid. [In my case I was suffering from diarrhea]
There appears to be little scientific research to support or refute the claim that mineral ascorbates are less irritating to the gastrointestinal tract. When mineral salts of ascorbic acid are taken, both the ascorbic acid and the mineral appear to be well-absorbed.”
Quoted from “The Bioavailability of Different Forms of Vitamin C”
http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/ss01/bioavailability.html

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by ofonorow » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:23 am

The Levine work has been criticized by Drs. Hickey/Roberts, especially in their book The Ridiculous Dietary Allowance, (http://www.lulu.com/ascorbate) We have covered most of the issues here, but will do so again if necessary. We appreciate Mark Levine's advocacy of vitamin C at the NIH, but Levine has failed to respond properly to the Hickey/Roberts criticism.

The issue with a mineral ascorbate has to do with the so-called "ascorbate effect" which quenches the free radicals spawned by infections. Dr. Cathcart discovered clinically that he was unable to achieve this effect orally with mineral ascorbates, only ascorbic acid, and if stomach distress is an issue, baking soda can be added to turn some of the ascorbic acid into sodium ascorbate.

If you really have such a low tolerance, and many people do, then you might consider a liposomal form, such as livonlabs.com Lypo-C to increase blood serum levels.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

mike.molyneaux

Post Number:#6  Post by mike.molyneaux » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:10 pm

Concerning Calcium ascorbate, the Vitamin C product I used, this is what the manufacturer says about this product;- “ Wagner Pro Biotics Ester C, a patented form of Vitamin C, is the most bio available form developed. Metabolites in Ester C help the vitamin get into cells more efficiently. Ester C is absorbed into the blood stream faster and is held in the body longer than ordinary Vitamin C, increasing its effectiveness. Ester C is more effective than other Vitamin C and is non-acidic (pH7). It is patented and scientifically supported. Ester C was developed by Inter-Cal Corporation of Arizona after years of research designed to find a better Vitamin C.” http://www.healthchemist.co.nz/wagner-p ... 47663.html

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by Johnwen » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:28 pm

Maybe had something to do with this. Article written by a very knowledgable person!!!
Professor Ely told this author that he had advised Linus Pauling of the GAA theory and its prediction that Vitamin C would be less effective fighting colds in those who did not restrict their sugar intake. Recently, Ely and associates conducted a study on the common cold to test the GAA theory. Sugar and refined carbohydrates were restricted in the subjects. According to Dr. Ely, the remarkable (soon to be published) results showed an overwhelming preventive and curative property of vitamin C against the common cold in subjects with reduced sugar intake. (Presumably these subjects did not suffer the cellular membrane malfunction commonly diagnosed as Diabetes Type II).

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#8  Post by ofonorow » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:07 am

Hmmm? I don't see the connections between the last 2 posts??

But as far as the "propaganda" behind Ester-C, I do believe the evidence shows that most of what they say is true - Ester-C does enter cells faster, and less of it has been shown to prevent/cure scurvy in guinea pigs. However, it is not a natural form of vitamin C. It may be "trapped" in cells longer, etc. Also, it contains "metabolites" that would normally be considered impurities. (Clever marketing). We wrote the following critique of Ester-C: http://vitamincfoundation.org/esterc.htm and we generally do not recommend it. (However, there is evidence that it can increase the effectiveness of vitamin C against cancer, at least in the test tube, and except for the fact that we would not recommend calcium to cancer patients, as calcium increases embryonic cells (e.g. cancer's) ability to divide, cancer may be the one case we would recommend Ester-C. Wish there was more science to go on.)
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

mike.molyneaux

Post Number:#9  Post by mike.molyneaux » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:30 pm

I've known about the adverse effects of sugar for a few years and I look foreward to reading Prof Ely's new study.

cynthia386
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#10  Post by cynthia386 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:43 pm

My sister thought that vitamin c had zapped her urinary infection, and it promptly came back when she stopped taking it. Cathcart had a term for this state where you still have the virus but your symptoms are gone, he called it being "unsick."

You're body needs time to fight off the virus. The vitamin c mostly makes you feel better and reduces your chance of dying, by flushing out the toxins that the virus produces. It also has a couple of other benefits, but it does not zap the virus.

Cathcart used vitamin c with antibiotics in cases of bacterial infections. It was the antibiotics that were relied on to kill the bacteria. The vitamin c helped the patent feel better and insured that the patient would not die because he had the wrong antibiotic.

godsilove

Post Number:#11  Post by godsilove » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:07 pm

cynthia386 wrote: The vitamin c mostly makes you feel better and reduces your chance of dying, by flushing out the toxins that the virus produces

What toxins does a virus produce?

Ralph Lotz
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#12  Post by Ralph Lotz » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:14 pm

Ester-C is a form of calcium ascorbate. Each tablet provides 1,000 mg of vitamin C and 110 mg of calcium. Using the high doses mentioned by Owen would rack up a load of too much calcium.
"Unless we put medical freedom into the constitution...medicine will organize into an undercover dictatorship..force people who wish doctors and treatment of their own choice to submit to only what..dictating outfit offers." Dr. Benjamin Rush

mike.molyneaux

Post Number:#13  Post by mike.molyneaux » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:07 pm

Quite right about overloading the body with calcium, or any mineral counterpart of ascorbate, causing liver and/or kidney problems. Intravenous administration is very tricky for that reason. Prescrbing dose levels should be a matter of careful research.

Ralph Lotz
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#14  Post by Ralph Lotz » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:53 am

Intravenous administration is very tricky for that reason

Intravenous administration is not tricky at all, just use sodium ascorbate. The tricky part is finding a practitioner that knows what he/she is doing.
"Unless we put medical freedom into the constitution...medicine will organize into an undercover dictatorship..force people who wish doctors and treatment of their own choice to submit to only what..dictating outfit offers." Dr. Benjamin Rush

Return to “Vitamin C and Infections: e.g. Covid, Spike Protein, Vaccination”