IV/C and post-op recovery

Physician Reference and discussion of the methods, protocols and effects of intravenous vitamin C (versus oral or liposomal).

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

Ken B.
Contributor
Contributor

IV/C and post-op recovery

Post Number:#1  Post by Ken B. » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:03 am

My dad is going to have surgery to remove a large kidney stone. I mentioned to him about asking the doctor if it would be a good idea to take a IV of Vit C. I haven't had a chance to talk to him about the answer yet.

Is there a good article on taking IV/C after a surgery, and what the benefits are?

jimmylesante
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: IV/C and post-op recovery

Post Number:#2  Post by jimmylesante » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:04 am

Can they not break the stone down without operating?
I'm sure IVC would be a good thing pre/post op, though i am not an expert.

studentroland
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#3  Post by studentroland » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:23 pm

Is there a good article on taking IV/C after a surgery, and what the benefits are?

I don´t know if this article meets the criteria of beeing "good", but it´s an article, at least...:), about the need for additional ascorbic acid after surgery...
http://www.nutrilearning.com.ar/docs/articulos/interes/cirugia/vitamin_C_requirement.pdf
Here is another one, saying:
There is a significantly increased post-operative metabolic clearance of ascorbic acid that might be considered when framing future dose recommendations in post-operative patients.

http://www.journalofsurgicalresearch.com/article/S0022-4804(05)00160-5/abstract
Another article concerning what ascorbic acid actually does during woundhealing can be found here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1465395/

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:24 am

Ken B. wrote:My dad is going to have surgery to remove a large kidney stone. I mentioned to him about asking the doctor if it would be a good idea to take a IV of Vit C. I haven't had a chance to talk to him about the answer yet.

I would be shocked if a conventional doctor believed this to be a good idea.

However, it is a very good idea.

One caveat. You might follow Linus Pauling's advice and find out what kind of stone your father has/had. Half the stones form in acidic urine and about half form in alkaline urine. So if your father happened to have the kidney stones that form in alkaline urine, then it might be better to take ascorbic acid by mouth to help acidify his urine rather than an IV of sodium ascorbate.

The different type of stones are outlined in Pauling's 1986 book HOW TO LIVE LONGER AND FEEL BETTER.

It is interesting to note that in Catchart's practice - perhaps more than 14000 patients on high vitamin C - he reported that he had not sen a SINGLE case of kidney stones.

We have also seen studies that show no correlation between stone formation and vitamin C, but found a strong correlation between low vitamin B6 and stone formation. No harm to increase your father's B6 - and a Super-B complex should do the trick.

Finally, our discussions of kidney stones over the years revealed a tidbit - magnesium can dissolve and prevent kidney stones.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Intravenous Vitamin C (IV/C)”