Central pontine myelinolysis

Physician Reference and discussion of the methods, protocols and effects of intravenous vitamin C (versus oral or liposomal).

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

jamesLdavis1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Central pontine myelinolysis

Post Number:#1  Post by jamesLdavis1 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:41 pm

Has anyone explored the dangers of this condition in administering IV Sodium Ascorbate at high concentrations? It is a very serious complication

Central pontine myelinolysis is brain cell dysfunction caused by the destruction of the layer (myelin sheath) covering nerve cells in the middle of the brainstem (pons).

The most common cause of central pontine myelinolysis is a quick rise in the body's sodium levels. This most often occurs when someone is being treated for low blood levels of sodium (hyponatremia) and the sodium is replaced too fast. It also can occasionally occur when high levels of sodium in the body (hypernatremia) are corrected too quickly.

This condition does not occur on its own. It is a complication of treatment for other conditions or from the other conditions themselves.

Outlook (Prognosis)

The nerve damage caused by central pontine myelinolysis is usually long-lasting. The disorder can cause serious long-term (chronic) disability.
Possible Complications

Decreased ability to interact with others
Decreased ability to work or care for self
Inability to move, other than to blink eyes ("locked in" syndrome)
Permanent nervous system damage

Via NLM.NIH.GOV

davids1
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: Central pontine myelinolysis

Post Number:#2  Post by davids1 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:01 am

Hi James,

I'd like to make two points:

1) Anything from "NLM.NIH.GOV" is biased away from orthomolecular treatments. Their agenda is drugs, e.g. those things that produce the big profits for the drug companies.

2) Dr. Levy [I believe] wrote words to this effect: The risk you take by not administering ascorbate is vastly greater than any possible risk you take by administering it.

As just one of many examples, I assume the "NLM.NIH.GOV" still promotes the long debunked myth that muti-gram doses of ascorbate promote kidney stones. If you are actually [still] looking to them for unbiased, objective "reporting," [on health modalities], I can only wish you the best of luck!

I hope this helps, James, as "grist for your mill" [in your research].

Just my viewpoint and "two cents worth,"

David
JFYI, I have ingested a Bowel Tolerance dose of ascorbic acid [via one gram tablets], in HEALTH, not illness [of which I have had virtually none], basically every day since 1994, amounting to [currently], on average, 75+ grams [daily], in 10 to 15 divided doses.

tjohnson_nb
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#3  Post by tjohnson_nb » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:33 am

Also, since probably 10's of thousands of IV C treatments have been done over the years without any mention if these effects it doesn't seem like there is any connection to it.
'Always' and 'never' are 2 words you should always remember never to use.

jamesLdavis1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#4  Post by jamesLdavis1 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:52 pm

tjohnson_nb wrote:Also, since probably 10's of thousands of IV C treatments have been done over the years without any mention if these effects it doesn't seem like there is any connection to it.

Ok guys, well let's not come to conclusions ruling it out? Absence of evidence doesn't mean evidence of absence.

There very well may be many people who have had this. There's only a small handful of people who post on this forum, out of the thousands who have received IV-C, as well, most people get it done by a skilled professional, but many on this forum have talked about self-administering, and some of the stories have been bad.

There has been several cases of bleeding into the skin, hospitalizations, Owen's not being able to move his legs, some guy talking about his brother's eyes and head feeling like they were burning. Many people have had reactions and I doubt they were running online to tell the story. Just like you wont find a lot of tumor necrosis people online.

tjohnson_nb
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#5  Post by tjohnson_nb » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:20 am

I t seems to me that if someone got central pontine myelinolysis from IV Sodium Ascorbate then the doctors administering it would have noticed - it seems like an extremely debilitating condition. Perhaps it does not happen because there is not the initial condition of very low sodium in the first place?

jamesLdavis1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#6  Post by jamesLdavis1 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:56 am

tjohnson_nb wrote:I t seems to me that if someone got central pontine myelinolysis from IV Sodium Ascorbate then the doctors administering it would have noticed - it seems like an extremely debilitating condition. Perhaps it does not happen because there is not the initial condition of very low sodium in the first place?

What I'm saying is that when Owen and other people say they had a massive "herx" reaction to IV-C and couldn't move and had burning sensations, this could very well be Central Pontine, and not a herx. Bacteria die-off shouldn't have that reaction at all.

I would like to hear Dr Levy or a practitioner about whether people ever can't move or feel burning and shaking and if it's a good thing. Obviously this is purely anecdotal stuff, but since it's all we have to go on...

tjohnson_nb
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#7  Post by tjohnson_nb » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:28 pm

Feel free to contact him. http://www.peakenergy.com/contact.php

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#8  Post by ofonorow » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:21 am

jamesLdavis1 wrote:Has anyone explored the dangers of this condition in administering IV Sodium Ascorbate at high concentrations? It is a very serious complication

Central pontine myelinolysis is brain cell dysfunction caused by the destruction of the layer (myelin sheath) covering nerve cells in the middle of the brainstem (pons).

The most common cause of central pontine myelinolysis is a quick rise in the body's sodium levels. This most often occurs when someone is being treated for low blood levels of sodium (hyponatremia) and the sodium is replaced too fast. It also can occasionally occur when high levels of sodium in the body (hypernatremia) are corrected too quickly.

This condition does not occur on its own. It is a complication of treatment for other conditions or from the other conditions themselves.

Outlook (Prognosis)

The nerve damage caused by central pontine myelinolysis is usually long-lasting. The disorder can cause serious long-term (chronic) disability.
Possible Complications

Decreased ability to interact with others
Decreased ability to work or care for self
Inability to move, other than to blink eyes ("locked in" syndrome)
Permanent nervous system damage

Via NLM.NIH.GOV

First, it would not be surprising if the cause of this condition was something other than a rapid increase in sodium, say a combination of sodium and chloride. But even if sodium is the culprit, it seems likely that the addition of the ascorbate ion protects from this condition.

Obviously this condition must be evaluated after-the fact, and cannot be clinically studied or tested, at least in humans!

My reasons for thinking this are that so many vitamin C infusions of quite large amounts have been given, and on the videos (on youtube) we constantly link to, Cathcart who was probably the most experienced clinician of his time, reported almost no problems with his vitamin C infusions (but did say other practitioners would call all the time with issues, which is one reason he wanted the video lecture to be made available.)

So this condition is unknown and, to my knowledge, has never been reported as a side-effect in the iV vitamin C literature.

There is another condition, where the urine turns red that supposedly killed one african-american, name escapes me, but Dr. Levy pointed out that it was caused by a glutathione deficiency in red blood cells. (The fix is to increase GSH before the IV.) Anyway, fear of this single condition usually makes doctors who do IV/C start with very low amounts, and work upwards in people who have never before had IV/C. I think this caution is unnecessary, but given this common protocol, again, it is unlikely that some major condition like the one asked about here could be occurring and not noticed because usually doctors are giving the IV.

Thanks to Mike's (mercury-poisoned sister) experience with a large commercial IV/C clinic - we learned that using commercial IV injectibles may have too low a pH which can damage veins, over an extended period of use. No such potential issue has been reported with Cathcart's sodium ascorbate preparation.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

jimmylesante
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#9  Post by jimmylesante » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:41 am

JamesLdavis
I must say even though i welcome discussion, especially for and against if it is logically administered. However you seem to come up with a few one liners and not much more, apart from scare mongering.
As i replied to one of your other posts, and as Owen has replied- it is very rare to just jump into a 100g IVC- the treatment is progressive.

Even if there were a few bad reactions or myelin sheath damage i'd still take the treatment over synthetic drugs.

Just FYI an integrative medicine doctor here in Africa uses IVC and various B vitamins with some minerals such as manganese in the same drip- perhaps to protect against myelin nerve damage???

Return to “Intravenous Vitamin C (IV/C)”