Hypertonicity -BIG problem with bad admin of IV Sodium Ascor

Physician Reference and discussion of the methods, protocols and effects of intravenous vitamin C (versus oral or liposomal).

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

jamesLdavis1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hypertonicity -BIG problem with bad admin of IV Sodium Ascor

Post Number:#1  Post by jamesLdavis1 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:54 am

If you put sodium ascorbate in a Lactated Ringer's solution like Cathcart did, you can have major problems with hypertonicity, causing Central Pontine Myelinosis or other problems.

I think it is prudent to suggest that nobody do so and that his protocol should be evaluated.

We should not be advocating using someone's protocol without having full medical knowledge.

There is too much "i think this is fine" or "cathcart's guidelines seem to indicate that's no problem," without being MDs and knowing what's going on.

jamesLdavis1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Hypertonicity -BIG problem with bad admin of IV Sodium A

Post Number:#2  Post by jamesLdavis1 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:04 am

To be fair, Cathcart did also use sterile water, but in his protocol and on youtube also talks about using Lactated Ringer's, which does not seem prudent to recommend given how hypertonic the solution would become.

I am not an MD, and neither is almost anyone here, so we should leave recommendations to doctors.

jamesLdavis1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by jamesLdavis1 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:08 am

And to be fair, Owen always advocates having a doctor involved. But a lot of people on here are looking to make their own IV-C solution, and we should be advising them not to do so and not to go to Cathcart's protocol as people can end up hurting themselves, like I have.

tjohnson_nb
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#4  Post by tjohnson_nb » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:17 am

jamesLdavis1 wrote:If you put sodium ascorbate in a Lactated Ringer's solution like Cathcart did, you can have major problems with hypertonicity, causing Central Pontine Myelinosis or other problems.

I think it is prudent to suggest that nobody do so and that his protocol should be evaluated.

We should not be advocating using someone's protocol without having full medical knowledge.

There is too much "i think this is fine" or "cathcart's guidelines seem to indicate that's no problem," without being MDs and knowing what's going on.

I just watched this video of Cathcart in which he specifically says to use pure water to avoid hypertonicity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuRTLoQlSks around the 5:40 mark.
However, he does say at 8:05 that he sometimes uses lactated ringer's when drawing up the IV. So not sure what's going on.
'Always' and 'never' are 2 words you should always remember never to use.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by ofonorow » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:09 am

There is a 2-step process per the last post in this forum. Step #1. Creating the stock solution - uses sterile water.

Step #2. Adding the stock solution to an IV bag (which already may have other substances commonly given IV for various reasons.)
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

jimmylesante
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#6  Post by jimmylesante » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:30 am

I am not an MD, and neither is almost anyone here, so we should leave recommendations to doctors.

I'm not a MD either but i wouldn't start closing the door to people who want to experiment on themselves by leaving recommendations to doctors only!

I would advise caution when injecting and or IVC- particularly starting with a small amount of solution and building up slowly.

Personally i always understood that IVC was made with Sodium Ascorbate and sterile water and large amounts of VC chased with IM vit C and/or oral VC or calcium gluconate.

Return to “Intravenous Vitamin C (IV/C)”