G6pd defiency case

Physician Reference and discussion of the methods, protocols and effects of intravenous vitamin C (versus oral or liposomal).

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

G6pd defiency case

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:32 am

Dear Dr. Fonorow,

I am writing to you at the advice of a colleague of mine, Dr.

I would like to tell you my situation, and ask you whether you can help me in any way.

--

I have been involved in integrated cancer care for many years. I started offering vitamin c infusions in S. Africa 20 years ago, and never had a problem. I did them here when I had a practice in Upper Wimpole St. Sadly I never really registered the information of the implication of g6pd deficiency, so never did the test routinely. My partner in S Africa, has not been doing the test to this day. I registered the problem with G6pd more about a year ago, after reading more on it, but again sadly did not take action, and did not start testing.

In February I saw a family with a 12 year old boy with a desmoid tumour. They had done research and wanted vitamin c. They were very unhappy with the orthodox treatment.

I discussed the rare risk of side effects, but neither did I do the g6pd test nor did I write to the gp or consultant, partly due their dissatisfaction with the whole orthodox world. I gave 25 g twice, less than the recommended dose of 1.5g per kg . Child weighted 28kg.

Unfortunately the child did have g6pd deficiency and required two units of blood over a very tense weekend. All is well now. However, the consultant complained to the gmc about me a)due 'no evidence' for this treatment b) re lack of blood test done and c) re no communication.

I am awaiting the outcome, and to know whether it comes to a hearing.

Dr. Sharma suggested I ask you whether you knew of any evidence saying at what level one can give the vitamin c without testing for g6pd, and also whether you had any evidence for desmoid tumours per se...I found one article combining vit c iv with indomethacin.

Also if you have any advice and evidence in particular re vitamin c for cancers in children in general, it would be much appreciated.

Any other advice, support, or indeed constructive criticism would be very helpful, or indeed general list of references for vitamin c and cancer and effectiveness....and side effect profiles

Thank you
Dr. Michael
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

davids1
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: G6pd defiency case

Post Number:#2  Post by davids1 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:22 pm

Hi Owen,

The only thing I could find in my saved articles and notes referencing G6PD [this article entitled "Ascorbate: Lies, Myths and Half-Truths"] was this:
people with G6PD enzyme deficiencies cannot be administered intravenous ascorbate
Unlike most of the statements listed, the author did not go onto discrediting this as a myth [so perhaps it is true(?)]. I would certainly be interested in understanding why that would be true!

At any rate, here are some quotes from Dr. Levy, relating to the usefulness of ascorbate in cancer treatment:
Vitamin C kills cancer cells

The design of nature is incredibly elegant. While vitamin C improves the health of normal cells, it increases the oxidative stress inside malignant cells. This is because all cancer cells accumulate iron and hydrogen peroxide, and the vitamin C can generate highly reactive hydroxyl radicals via the Fenton reaction that can kill the cell when it is sufficiently activated.

Normal cells have only relatively little iron and next to no hydrogen peroxide, and vitamin C cannot increase oxidative stress in these cells. Actually, in normal cells, the only effect of vitamin C is decreased oxidative stress. As an added point, when enough vitamin C is chronically present inside cells, they cannot accumulate iron and hydrogen peroxide, and they are unable to become malignant in the first place.

...vitamin C selectively kills cancer cells and simultaneously strengthens healthy cells. No other substance can make these claims, thus proving that ... Nature's Powerful Cancer Answer is High-Dose Vitamin C....Vitamin C Inhibits Both Tumor Growth and Cancer Spread...

One of the amazing properties of vitamin C is that it can protect healthy cells while simultaneously and selectively causing rapid cell death in cancer cells....this seemingly contradictory function....Vitamin C is the ultimate chemotherapeutic agent: It improves and protects the health of normal cells while producing the most toxic of substances inside the cancer cells!...A few studies have failed to confirm earlier findings of vitamin C's efficacy in the treatment of cancer. However, all of these studies used inadequate doses of vitamin C....Vitamin C has been shown to prevent cancer and to selectively kill cancer in both the laboratory and the body...

Vitamin C is uniquely suited to kill pathogens, neutralize toxins, and supercharge the immune system. It serves well in not only preventing cancer...but also in treating, arresting, and even resolving...cancer.

Cancer cells, like pathogens, are also especially susceptible to the generation of hydroxyl radicals and oxidative stress to the point of cell death via the vitamin C-stimulated Fenton reaction....The typical cancer cell...characteristics are not shared by normal cells, which are being strengthened by the influx of vitamin C at the same time the cancer cells are being killed. Furthermore the vitamin C has many different mechanisms of stimulating the immune system while the cancer cells are attacked and the normal cells improve their antioxidant capacity....the vitamin C-mediated killing of cancer cells....vitamin C by itself can serve as the perfect "chemotherapy" for very many cases of cancer....vitamin C can always be expected to improve the long-term outcome.

Case studies demonstrate success treating and even completely resolving various cancers with high-dose vitamin C
* In advanced cancer patients, high-dose vitamin C therapy compared to conventional therapy at one facility over a 3-year period shows:
- 75% better breast cancer survivor rate
- 867% better lung cancer survivor rate
- 107% better colorectal cancer survivor rate
- When breast cancer patients made this facility their first treatment option, the 3- year survival rate improved by 134%.
Of course, Rath, Pauling and Riordan also had valuable material on the use of ascorbate in cancer treatment.

I hope that helps,

David
JFYI, I have ingested a Bowel Tolerance dose of ascorbic acid [via one gram tablets], in HEALTH, not illness [of which I have had virtually none], basically every day since 1994, amounting to [currently], on average, 75+ grams [daily], in 10 to 15 divided doses.

tjohnson_nb
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#3  Post by tjohnson_nb » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:31 pm

Only moderate levels of Vitamin C must be administered to people with Hemochromatosis and high iron disorder. Likewise, caution must be maintained for patients with Glucose – 6 – phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency when giving patients Vitamin C. The iron level in G6PD deficient cells detrimentally interacts with the Vitamin C. G6PD deficient cells rupture due to the presence of Vitamin C. It has also been shown that Vitamin C can promote a hemolytic crisis in individual with G6PD condition. However, it is difficult to predict its occurrence. To avoid complications, medical professionals should closely monitor the administration of Vitamin C in the presence of G6PD as well as chronic kidney insufficiency.

See http://www.drlam.com/articles/Vitamin_C_Safety.asp

There are many sites with this warning.
'Always' and 'never' are 2 words you should always remember never to use.

davids1
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#4  Post by davids1 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:44 pm

Thanks for the info, TJ.

As an aside, if I had any health malady, be it G6PD, hemochromatosis, or anything else, for that matter, rather than completely stopping ascorbate intake, I would cut back to whatever level seemed to be tolerable, and trust that the ascorbate, with its abundant supply of antioxidizing electrons, would gradually improve my overall health, thereby allowing me to gradually increase my ascorbate intake. At any rate, that would be my theoretical approach as of now. Of course, it is my belief, that because of my Bowel Tolerance dose daily, I have a reasonably good chance of very possibly never having to face any particular ailment, i.e. to just die "naturally." I guess time will tell!

Just my viewpoint and "two cents worth,"

David
JFYI, I have ingested a Bowel Tolerance dose of ascorbic acid [via one gram tablets], in HEALTH, not illness [of which I have had virtually none], basically every day since 1994, amounting to [currently], on average, 75+ grams [daily], in 10 to 15 divided doses.

tjohnson_nb
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#5  Post by tjohnson_nb » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:51 pm

I think the main concern is for IV treatment :)
'Always' and 'never' are 2 words you should always remember never to use.

davids1
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#6  Post by davids1 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:05 pm

I wondered about that, TJ, but then assumed that oral ascorbic acid essentially becomes the same thing in the blood as [IV] sodium ascorbate. Can you [or anyone] shed any light on why oral ascorbate might work, and IV ascorbate might not? Sodium, perhaps?

Thanks.

skyorbit
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#7  Post by skyorbit » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:10 pm

Dr Levy even states that this is a real concern.

TRacy

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#8  Post by ofonorow » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:18 am

I posted because other than one case in the literature - this problem seemed obscure, but apparently it can be a real issue (w/IV).
Dear Owen,

Thank you for your response.
The child had a desmoid tumour in the arm, just hardness and some discomfort as symptoms.
Sometimes amputation is the only answer...meanwhile they are offering him chemo.
I do not think there was any other explanation to blood in the urine, and the need for two units of blood.
HIs haemoblobin went down to 5.3 before they transfused.
The consultant has complained for three reasons one of which I hope at least I can answer.
1) I did not do the g6pd test...which after twenty years where it was not really in my consciousness fully, and no problem I had not done.
2) I did not communicate with him.
3)No evidence of help.

I use ascorbic acid infusion in saline.

​ Dr. Levy recommends sterile water and their may be some issue with too much salt using saline.

http://vitamincfoundation.org/pdfs/civprep.pdf

By the way do you know where I can get Sodium Ascorbate for iv infusion?

​ In USA - the answer is a compounding pharmacy, but they will not ship outside USA. You can make your own per Catchart's instructions - and good powder will do but follow instructions.

​Search youtube for the video (Cathcart Vitamin C Administration). Levy recommends microfilter for legal reasons. If you were not using sodium ascorbate, what was the vitamin C you used?

I am not really sure how I can answer except apologise for 1 and 2 and present evidence for 3)

Thanks for replying
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

davids1
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#9  Post by davids1 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:33 am

D. Michael wrote:I use ascorbic acid infusion in saline.
Whoa! I hope not! Might that have caused or contributed to the problem?
Owen wrote: If you were not using sodium ascorbate, what was the vitamin C you used?​
Amen, i.e. what?

jimmylesante
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#10  Post by jimmylesante » Thu May 01, 2014 2:57 am

Could it be something other than G6PD? Say for example the Vitamin C flushing out Bilharzia parasites?
Just a thought.

Return to “Intravenous Vitamin C (IV/C)”