Question about Saline and IV Vitamin C

Physician Reference and discussion of the methods, protocols and effects of intravenous vitamin C (versus oral or liposomal).

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

johnyascorbate
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Question about Saline and IV Vitamin C

Post Number:#1  Post by johnyascorbate » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:49 pm

Hi Owen,
I'm new to IV vitamin C and have recently started receiving infusions for extra immune support while dealing with Lyme. It came to my attention that the vitamin c (25 grams) I'm receiving is mixed with 500cc's of saline. I have read on this forum multiple times people saying saline is not recommended and sterile water is what is best. Aside from the concern of saline causing too high a sodium level mixed with ascorbate, are there any other problems that can arise from using this combination?
Thanks,
John

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Question about Saline and IV Vitamin C

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:55 am

What is the vitamin C they are using?

Ascorbic Acid - wrong

Buffered Ascorbic Acid - USP - (Bioniche)

Sodium Ascorbate

In any event 25 grams is a low IV dosage, so I don't think it would be a big deal. Dr. Levy says his experience is with purified water.

Regarding Lyme, I would personally be interested in your results from a liposomal protocol of 5 g (or 10 g) daily for a period of at least 10 days. The results that are being reported from Empirical's Quali-c liposomal are amazing.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

johnyascorbate
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#3  Post by johnyascorbate » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:17 pm

Thanks for the reply. I am definitely going to order some of the liposomal C and give it a try. In regards to the IV, The doctor I go to is using the Mylan ascorbic acid from Mcguff. The dose is now 50 grams in 1,000 cc's saline, infused over a few hours. Is the use of ascorbic acid in this dose injurious in any way? Should I stop the treatment?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:57 am

Here is Dr. Levy's response to a question about using sterile water in the IVs.

Hello Owen,

For both stock solutions and the bag to be administered, I believe sterile water is the best way to go. Normal saline and lactated Ringer's are OK. D5W will work, but it is counterproductive to put glucose in the same bag with vitamin C and have them compete to get inside the cell.

I don't have a detailed procedure other than what we wrote on Dr. Cathcart's original protocol. http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/pdfs/civprep.pdf

If you never saw it, I have an extensive section in Death by Calcium entitled "The Guide to the Optimal Administration of Vitamin C" that could be of significant interest to you and the forum.

An FYI: after 10 years with the LivOn lypo C, I am just now realizing how incredibly beneficial it can be when pushed to very high doses. Specifically, for infections and chronic degenerative diseases such as cancer, taking 30 to 50 packets (30 to 50 grams) in divided doses orally in a day can have equal to greater impact than a 50 gram IV. Obviously the price and availability is much better for the patient as well. Don't know if this would apply to your liposome product or not.

Best regards,

Dr. Levy
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

jameshan

Post Number:#5  Post by jameshan » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:36 pm

I think it's no problem to take Vitamin C together with saline.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#6  Post by ofonorow » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:43 am

The issue, as I understand it, is that the correct IV/C is sodium ascorbate. So a saline would be adding salt, and Dr. Levy agrees that it is probably okay, but not necessary.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

thomsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#7  Post by thomsen » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:22 am

Has Dr. Levy changed his opinion on liposomal vitamin C? As I recall, he used to say that ~5 grams of liposomal C could have an impact equal to or greater than a 50 gram IVC.

Pianist
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#8  Post by Pianist » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:14 pm

thomsen wrote:Has Dr. Levy changed his opinion on liposomal vitamin C? As I recall, he used to say that ~5 grams of liposomal C could have an impact equal to or greater than a 50 gram IVC.

I also want to know that!

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#9  Post by ofonorow » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:34 am

As far as I know, Dr. Levy is sticking to his guns (perhaps limited to treating infection.) We have experienced the same thing. It would be nice to have funding to study this. One reason may be the much longer time the vitamin C inside liposomes remains in the blood stream (versus the 30 minute half-life of ordinary vitamin C powder) as Dr. Hickey's research has shown for liposomes.

Levy has reported success with Cancers, however, Drisko at the Univ. of Kansas says she investigated liposomal for cancers - without success, and Levy recommends all three forms of vitamin C, e.g. oral, IV/C and liposomal for serious issues.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

musashie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#10  Post by musashie » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:39 am

Can anyone advise is 'sterile water for irrigation' ok to use for the IV.? I cannot source large quantities ie 500ml or 1000ml bottles of sterile water for injection. Whereas I can get Baxters for irrigation @500 and 1000 easily.

Hot /Cold solutions. Am I right in saying that a hot solution is one just mixed as opposed to sitting around in solution for indefinite length of time(cold)?

Will incorporating a filter effect the drip rate?

Using the 60g/60min -20g/20min protocol@500ml. Is 500mg of water sufficient for 100g or 20g SA in IV bag, etc . Does the volume of water need to be altered with regard to amount of SA being administered. Im assuming if it does it is more a duration issue than safety issue?

I have empty IV bags. Very difficult to source. Had to order from the states using mail drop box. I will mix solution using approved cathcart sodium ascorbate purchased from THE store. Will then inject solution via injection ports into bag. Have done trial run getting correct drip rate for the 60/60 -20/20 protocol. Took a few minutes to get drip rate correct and even then I would imagine its not going to be exactly right.

erik92

Post Number:#11  Post by erik92 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:42 pm

thomsen wrote:Has Dr. Levy changed his opinion on liposomal vitamin C? As I recall, he used to say that ~5 grams of liposomal C could have an impact equal to or greater than a 50 gram IVC.

Probably sales are hurting :)

Return to “Intravenous Vitamin C (IV/C)”