How to discard 100 ml from 500 ml bag to add 100 ml stock solution inside?

Physician Reference and discussion of the methods, protocols and effects of intravenous vitamin C (versus oral or liposomal).

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

ysuvorava5

How to discard 100 ml from 500 ml bag to add 100 ml stock solution inside?

Post Number:#1  Post by ysuvorava5 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:25 pm

Hi Owen,

For the IVC, we have sterile water (500 ml), we have syringes (20 ml) and there is a filter inside the IV line. How do we take out the excess 100 ml from the 500 ml sterile water bottle so we can add the 100 ml of the stock solution? Do we do this with 20 ml syringes (5 times, because 20 x 5 = 100)? 5 times to take out the sterile water from the bottle first and then 5 times to add the 100 ml stock solution inside the water bottle? Wouldn't that make the sterile water non-sterile if we poke it 5 times to withdraw the excess and 5 times to add into it? Or do we do this with the IV line, take out 100 ml using the IV system and add 100 ml of the stock solution using a new IV system but into the same water bottle? But that still raises the question with potentially making the sterile water non sterile because you poke it once with IV system to discard 100 ml water and then you poke it second time with IV system to add 100 stock solution. How does Dr. Levy and eDoc do it? That's our main concern.

Thank you,

Yulia
Last edited by ysuvorava5 on Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimmylesante
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: How to disgard 100 ml from 500 ml bag to add 100 ml stock solution inside?

Post Number:#2  Post by jimmylesante » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:35 pm

Good Question.
So here is what you do- assuming you either have a saline bag or saline bottle(more common in USA) Both have two areas to jab. One is where the iv line(giving set) goes into. The other is where you can inject more meds.

First put the iv line in and use this to drain 100ml off.
Secondly take your 20ml syringe(although you can get bigger syringes if you want) fill it with stock solution stick into saline bottle and squirt it all in-detach the needle leaving it in the saline bottle and use another needle to suck more solution(you can leave this needle in the stock solution as well so only spike it once)---if you wish you can use a filter needle in the stock solution----- and then detach and reattach to needle stuck in saline solution.......thus you have only spiked the bag once with a sterile needle.

ysuvorava5

Post Number:#3  Post by ysuvorava5 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:42 pm

Hi Jimmy! Thank you so much for the detailed response which makes perfect sense now. Just when I lost all hope that I would get a response from anybody, you came and shed light into this process. I really appreciate the time you took to reply. I will attempt what you've suggested this week. I'll keep you posted on the outcome. Thanks again!

Yulia

sasam
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#4  Post by sasam » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:50 pm

Great question. To which I have a follow up: How great is the risk for contamination with multiple sticks/spikes to the IV bag's port? In other words, how critical is it to reduce the number of spikes to the port?

I had assumed that if you scrub the injection port with an alcohol pad immediately after and before each stick you could inject many times over. This was my assumption when I make my IVC solution. But if this is a danger, I need to obviously change my protocol.

I re-use a 1000mL bag of sterile water for my solvent source. I wipe clean with alcohol each time before and after I spike and draw out around 60mL of water. And I leave this bag stored in my medical cabinet when not in use. But reading this I realize I may be risking contamination.

jimmylesante
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#5  Post by jimmylesante » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:06 am

Hi Sasam
If you wipe well before you stick then you should still be sterile.
The problem when you stick repeatedly is some bags or ports due to the repeated sticks create a bigger hole causing more chance of contamination and leakage.
Once stuck i'd use a saline bag for 28days max then toss it.(unless ofcourse it is leaking damaged or becomes knowingly contaminated...obviously)
If your 1000ml is lasting ages then you can get 100ml/250ml/500ml.

sasam
Contributor
Contributor

Re: How to discard 100 ml from 500 ml bag to add 100 ml stock solution inside?

Post Number:#6  Post by sasam » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:13 pm

Thanks for the great tips. Smaller bags for sure. I'll assume that a squeeze-test of the bag to see if the port leaks should suffice then.

norvern
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#7  Post by norvern » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:58 pm

thank you jimmy, it was a worry, but as ysuvorava5 says, that makes so much sense, fantastic and will use in my ringers bag

but... in our sodium chloride bag, and maybe some others too, there is only one port... for others on here, how do you suggest approaching that?

jimmylesante
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#8  Post by jimmylesante » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:33 am

thank you jimmy, it was a worry, but as ysuvorava5 says, that makes so much sense, fantastic and will use in my ringers bag

but... in our sodium chloride bag, and maybe some others too, there is only one port... for others on here, how do you suggest approaching that?

This is not normal unless you are using sodium chloride bottle/bag for cleansing wounds.
ALL IV bags have two ports/nipples- you just need to break off the second port tag. ALL IV bottles have one top split into two ports normally covered with a peel off seal.

Return to “Intravenous Vitamin C (IV/C)”