factors in speed of iv vit c drip

Physician Reference and discussion of the methods, protocols and effects of intravenous vitamin C (versus oral or liposomal).

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

norvern
Contributor
Contributor

factors in speed of iv vit c drip

Post Number:#1  Post by norvern » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:13 pm

with no medical training, i am at a loss to work out why my wife's 500ml iv drip sometimes finishes fine after two or two and a half hours

and others, like tonight, is still going, 4 hours in

is it the size of vein i have chosen, position of the needle therein, gauge of needle (mine 23), style giving set. my wife's low blood pressure, blood too thin/thick.........
and on and on i imagine

so, what would you recommend/have you done to speed iv vit c up when it is going too slow???
(per previous thread, using ringers has stopped the pain in vein so i can quicken)

4 hours in, i have discovered that if she moves her arm around a bit and then rests, the drip goes quicker, then slows after a minute, move arm again, rest it, and drip goes faster again.. would this be the butterfly needle is not secure enough and so moving around in vein??

ty

jimmylesante
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: factors in speed of iv vit c drip

Post Number:#2  Post by jimmylesante » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:19 pm

Hi
Well there are a number of things-lets start with the bag to giving set where the filter may be getting clogged up if you made a home brew?
Then the position of the arm/hand may occlude the cannula/vein/needle especially when people read or pronate forearm or flex elbow.
Then there is the dreaded valve-found in veins and can keep closing on the needle/cannula slowing the rate down.
Of course with a small 23g you may have actually gone through the vein and it is slowly dripping into the area around it?
Hard to tell without actually being there.

norvern
Contributor
Contributor

Re: factors in speed of iv vit c drip

Post Number:#3  Post by norvern » Sat May 02, 2020 4:24 pm

thanks very much jimmy
practice makes perfect
well, not perfect, but not having the issues now :D

Return to “Intravenous Vitamin C (IV/C)”