DNA Discovery Brings Bad News For Tall People

Discussion of the 2009 Noble Prize in Medicine, focusing on substances that reduce telomere shortening by activating the human telomerase enzyme

Moderator: ofonorow

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

DNA Discovery Brings Bad News For Tall People

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:20 am

http://www.labmate-online.com/news/news-and-views/5/breaking_news/dna_discovery_brings_bad_news_for_tall_people/37206/

The researchers explain that it’s all down to a region of repetitive DNA called telomeres.

When it comes to fighting disease and withstanding the biological ageing process, longer telomeres are far more beneficial.

“Growing a bigger body means that cells have to divide more. As a result, telomeres become eroded faster and cells and tissues function less well as a result.” He adds, “The reason why the bigger individuals have shorter telomeres might also be related to increased DNA damage due to growing faster. Being big can have advantages, of course, but this study shows that it can also have costs.”

As men are generally bigger than women, might this somehow explain the difference in our TrifecTA study?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

RatherBeUnknown
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: DNA Discovery Brings Bad News For Tall People

Post Number:#2  Post by RatherBeUnknown » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:15 am

I am over 2 meters, would love to know my telomere lengths but don't have the money for such a test. It's also a matter of increased cancer rate. So many issues with increased size.. I am starting to believe Dinosaurs couldn't possibly have existed :wink:

Return to “Telomeres”