Vitamin C Master

Study: Cancer cell growth halted with NAC

Post Number:#1  Post by johnyascorbate » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:20 am

francisunderwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: Study: Cancer cell growth halted with NAC

Post Number:#2  Post by francisunderwood » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:32 am

Thanks for the article. I had never heard of NAC until I warched a video of Abraham Hoffer taking his daily vitamins.

Do you take it?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:46 am

The researchers explain that when the stromal cells of tumors are exposed to oxidative stress, they release lactate and other "nutrients" that the cancer cells need to thrive.

NAC is supposed to be a glutathione precursor, which is why it is used in tylenol poisonings as the article mentions. (Tylenol's toxic effect on the liver is due to blocking the liver's production of gluathione.) Though it provides the raw materials, there are usually plenty, and we learn from emeritus professor of chemistry Boyd Haley, that the "only proven way to raise intracellular glutathione is high dose vitamin C."

I am a little surprised by the quote - that killing cancer cells with "oxidative stress" feeds them? Especially since there are studies showing that giving glutathione along with high dose vitamin C - blocks the action of high dose vitamin C against cancer. (I suspect that they could achieve the same reported results with vitamin C, and other studies probably have.)

If one were a conspiracy theorist, one might wonder if this report isn't a deflection of all the recent news about vitamin C and cancer..

Owen R. Fonorow, Orthopath® (Orthomolecular Naturopath)
® is a trademark of the Institute for Orthomolecular Studies

johnyascorbate
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#4  Post by johnyascorbate » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:49 am

francisunderwood wrote:Thanks for the article. I had never heard of NAC until I warched a video of Abraham Hoffer taking his daily vitamins.

Do you take it?

I was prescribed NAC 6 years ago for a bad chest infection by my doctor. It was like a miracle how well it cleared the problem up. I have been taking it everyday since then. 2,400 mg daily. If I ever get a sinus or lung issue, which is not often, I will take as much as 6 grams or more.

francisunderwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#5  Post by francisunderwood » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:07 am

@Johny, do you have a prescription for it still or take the supplment version? If supplement, which brand?

johnyascorbate
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#6  Post by johnyascorbate » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:45 am

francisunderwood wrote:@Johny, do you have a prescription for it still or take the supplment version? If supplement, which brand?

When I said "prescribed", I just meant I was directed to take it by my doctor. I take Solgar NAC.

francisunderwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#7  Post by francisunderwood » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:03 am

johnyascorbate wrote:
francisunderwood wrote:@Johny, do you have a prescription for it still or take the supplment version? If supplement, which brand?

When I said "prescribed", I just meant I was directed to take it by my doctor. I take Solgar NAC.

I thought so but wanted to make sure because my doctor would write me an rx if one were easily available. I ordered some of the natural factors brand. I have had good luck with their brand and also solgar.

While looking at different things about amino acids I discovered you can have an entire blood test of them fairly cheap. Does anyone see any benefit from having one done?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#8  Post by ofonorow » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:03 am

One thing I learned from Sherry Rogers, MD's books, is that there are blood tests for substances in the blood, and other "blood" tests for substances inside cells, and the tests for substances, e.g. magnesium, inside cells is more revealing and matters more in helping the doc identify a deficiency.
Owen R. Fonorow, Orthopath® (Orthomolecular Naturopath)
® is a trademark of the Institute for Orthomolecular Studies

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”