Vitamin c rectal.

Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

ekaitz
Contributor
Contributor

Vitamin c rectal.

Post Number:#1  Post by ekaitz » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:58 am

Would be this an ok and efficient route of administration to increase bioavailability, to use sodium ascorbate this way? Since liposomal is too costly for 3gr/day.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Vitamin c rectal.

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:59 pm

I don't remember ever seeing a study that measures administering vitamin C in this manner? I think the "receptors" that allow vitamin C to be absorbed into the blood are much "higher" in the digestive tract, e.g. the small intestines. It might make your colon healthier, and if I had colon cancer, I might consider trying this.

What condition are you dealing with, and why can't you take ordinary vitamin C orally?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ekaitz
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#3  Post by ekaitz » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:25 pm

It's not supposed to reach the colon, but to be directly be absorbed 1-2cm deep inside the rectum, and from there straight to the bloodstream. I read that plain vitamin c has low oral bioavailability, about 10-20%. And because that is suggested to use expensive liposomal preparations. My thinking is if going rectal administration, we should get far higher systemic absorption than oral (other than liposomal which is expensive).

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:00 am

While there is something extraordinary about True liposomal vitamin C, especially fighting infection, our Foundation ran experiments showing that ascorbic acid (ultrafine) powder exceeded the bioavailability of an intravenous vitamin C.

You can take roughly 4 grams by mouth before any kind of loss occurs.

For one thing, we found that on an empty stomach, the vitamin C as ascorbic acid, when gulped all at once, began entering the blood stream in large amounts in 3 minutes.

Before the effect subsided, after about 20 minutes, blood levels exceeded (more than doubled) the levels that were achieved by giving the same amount of vitamin C intravenously.

Here is our final paper on this pilot study (using glucose meters sensitive to vitamin C).
https://www.vitamincfoundation.org/pdfs/Final-BioPaper-Jom-April-2018.pdf

Figure 3 illustrates the extraordinary levels of vitamin C in the blood that can be achieved by a single gulp of 10 grams of ascorbic acid.

Figure 1 shows the intravenous vitamin C levels. Figure 2 shows ascorbic acid when given at the same rate, indicating that about 4 grams of oral ascorbicc acid is bioavailable by mouth. Figure 4 compares ascorbic acid with sodium ascorbate. Sodium ascorbate acts more like time release, and apparently doesn't penetrate the stomach, Figure 5 compares vitamin C with glucose. Note. because the meter is designed to measure glucose, the magnitudes are apples and oranges, and only the curves matter.

And here is the real-time record of the experiment

http://vitamincfoundation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11944
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by pamojja » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:15 am

ekaitz wrote:Would be this an ok and efficient route of administration to increase bioavailability, to use sodium ascorbate this way? Since liposomal is too costly for 3gr/day.

Its a myth that oral vitamin C would not reach blood or tissue. Since many year I post a study, which meassured high oral intake does raise blood vitaming C levels continously (other than IV, with falls as soon as the IV is disconeccted). See for example here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13171&p=47575

Also see my post from a year ago, when it became clear to me that exorbitant costly liposmal can't be a replacement for high dose vitamin C on the Pauling therapy: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15084

MichaelPD346
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#6  Post by MichaelPD346 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:30 am

Linus Pauling said he measured his urine after taking 10 grams of vitamin C in a day, orally; 85% was apparently absorbed, 15% lost. I don't know if he was taking just vitamin c or sodium ascorbate, though. Does anyone know?

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by ofonorow » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:08 am

If you can find a reference that would be helpful. Those are not the numbers I remember.

Here is what I know, Pauling did mention such an experiment on the Pauling Vitamin C and Cancer video, which I think we posted on the Vitamin C Foundation facebook page. Pauling generally took ascorbic acid, although in his book, he mentioned that he would add about about a tablespoon of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to his 9 grams of ascorbic acid - which he took twice daily).

The general idea is correct, that the current LPI and the NIH are wrong claiming that only 250 to 400 mg of vitamin C are "absorbed." Hickey and Roberts wrote an entire book on this error, THE RIDICULOUS DIETARY ALLOWANCE
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”