best diet

Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

stevewoodz99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

best diet

Post Number:#1  Post by stevewoodz99 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:11 pm

what is the best diet to avoid clogged arteries?
this video goes through a lot of the gurus and what they think like:
IF
vegan
meat
low calories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ_5eK-IC4k

Dr Barnard--low fat, all whole plants(dairy meat fish cause disease)
Dr Hallberg is high fat with lots of animal food(carbs cause disease?)
Dr fung(fasting/diabetes code(book)
Dr Bernstein(t1D) 87yo and wrote, "diabetes solution"

--2 low carb gurus and 2 whole plants

confused1
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Re: best diet

Post Number:#2  Post by confused1 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:56 am

Check out Perfect Health Diet by Paul Jaminet. I like a lot of his recommendations. It's mainly a paleo type diet. He's a former physicist and there's lots of research in the book. There's also a website but it's not been updated since he started a company that is developing a cancer drug. But it's still packed with info. He's not real big on vitamins, believing we can get most from food and I diverge from him there. He does recommend some vitamins and supplements for insurance.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:48 pm

There is probably no "best diet" that fits every individual. We have discussed the case of William Kelley, DDS, who resurrected that idea of pancreatic enzymes curing cancers. He thought he had discovered the "perfect" diet, from observing how his own cancer reacted to different diets. However, the "perfect" diet for Kelly almost killed his wife when she became ill. Desperate, he tried the opposite (high meat/fat) and she recovered. At this point he invented the idea of a "metabolic" diet, i.e., an individualized diet plan based mostly on the ancestry of the person. This idea was picked up by the late Nick Gonzalez, MD. The metabolic diet idea basically is that ancestors at higher latitudes, lacked fruits and vegetables and would have eaten lot of meat. Their digestive systems became slow to help process this kind of diet. Those with ancestors closer to the equator ate mostly fruits and veges, so their metabolism and digestion became very rapid, and these "types" do not process meat as well.

I think we can safely say these days, that if it comes in a box - it is probably not good for you. That any processed foods, such as processed meats, pose various risks. It is usually best to avoid highly refined foods, because these are mere "shells" of food with the nutrients removed. Similar idea with salt, highly refined salt is not as healthy as unrefined, e.g. sea salt. Many have shown that the rise of Omega-6 oils has correlated well with the rise in cardiovascular disease, and that lowering Omega-6 while increasing Omega-3 fatty acids is healthier.

You do not want to eat ANY trans fatty acids, etc. Long story but these "phony" fats are likely at the root of Type II diabetes (Thank you Mr. Smith at healingmatters.com)

There are two recent books, Younger You (https://www.amazon.com/Younger-You-Reverse-Age_and-Longer/dp/0306924838?tag=nypost-20&asc_refurl=https://nypost.com/2022/01/01/how-to-reverse-your-bio-age-like-jeff-bezos-in-8-weeks/&asc_source=web) and the Medical Medium series, with the same basic "whole foods" message, i.e. that the best diet includes a plethora fruits and multi-colored vegetables. Both would recommend smaller amounts of lean (organic) protein.

The major difference is that the Medical Medium book recommends restricting fats, ideally to 15% of calories (This to protect liver function, which has to create bile to deal with fat in the diet.) and the Younger You author recommends restricting sugars.

The second (sugar) conflict can be resolved because while ordinary sugars (sucrose from cane sugar) contain 50% fructose, Mr. William ( MM ) explains that both the liver and he brain require glucose in copious amounts. The trick, that I haven't been able to solve, is finding foods that mostly contain glucose.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

stevewoodz99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#4  Post by stevewoodz99 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:45 am

Thanks, Owen,
I have read lots on about different diets an the issue seems to be, "what is your goal?"

My goal is to reduce the risk of CAD. I want clean arteries and a low risk of any heart issue.
I have watched a lot of videos on youtube(recall, I have a fkd up ankle and I'm unable to work currently

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15397
dmso.rest/vit c./magnessium/its been 4 months and still hurts
ortho next week and he told me to just stay off of it

one of my fav videos is
-what made the egyptians fat/sick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGq_EbY ... L&index=32

seems the egypians are tons of bread and therefor high insulin and CAD
they used isotopes to deteremine the the diet of egyptians, diet was mostly grains(low fat)(high carb, low fat)12:22 mark

Dr Jamnadas(one of many) explaining why people should eat once a day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Yem2T ... L&index=24

basically we did not evolve eating few times daily, we evolved eating once a week(maybe)
eating few times daily keeps insulin high

HIgh blood sugar and high insulin are both bad for everything in the body

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yooNuOK ... =34&t=946s
this leads to "what babies can tel us about alz"
--dementia is called type 3 diabetes, the issue is high insulin/blood sugar
(normal blood sugar kept normal by high insulin is bad)
the brain makes amyloid plaque, for protection and lowers the insulin receptors n the brain(hippocamus)
amyloid plaque isn the issue, the issue is high insulin and high blood sugar
amyloid plaque is natural and it is remove by enzyme caled IDE, insulin degrading enzyme
this enzyme is so busy removing insulin that it cant remove the plaque
the amyloid does stop the transmission of nerves and stops flow the fuel(acteyl-coa)
so the dementia is a fuel shortage issue(15)
under Fmri, the sugar fueled brain is dark
BUT give the brain ketones and it LIGHTS UP
leads to
Ketones the better fuel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dan8qtgQRi8

which is how ketones are a better fuel than sugar
--the issue with a low carb diet is
you arent going to get grams of vit C
it might hurt your microbiome which has been positive
the microbiome needs lots of greens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjkzfeJ ... x=54&t=38s
-eat to starve cancer
as dr Li shows us, some foods have bacteria(lactobacillus reuteri) which do great things, like kill blood supply to cancer cells*(anti-angiogenic)

all these diets are adding in dont be fat and time rest restricted eating
so fasting
fasting helps everything<
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw5mfPP ... 47&t=1021s
Fasting Effects: 8 Major Repair Processes of Fasting

and you can fast, the longest fast we 382 days
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJAL5eU ... x=71&t=55s
guy lost .7lbs/day(275lbs)

so I am agreeing with you about almost everything
the body doesnt need carbs, yes glucose is better then fructose(fruit needs to be limited)
but a high fat diet(real fats) is far better than a high carb diet

this is really shown in the ketone video where all the men deep in ketosis were given a large bolus of insulin and nothing changed because they were being fueled by ketones
in the alzheimers video, the fmri shows brains dark on sugar diet and light up on a ketone diet

yes, if it comes in a box, not good for you
most of the time, you dont need food
just get your MG/vit C/ NA and potassium

sjmusic2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#5  Post by sjmusic2 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:30 am

Mr. William ( MM ) explains that both the liver and he brain require glucose in copious amounts. The trick, that I haven't been able to solve, is finding foods that mostly contain glucose.

Your body can already solve it for you with non-carb food sources...gluconeogenesis

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#6  Post by ofonorow » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:44 pm

sjmusic2 wrote:
Mr. William ( MM ) explains that both the liver and he brain require glucose in copious amounts. The trick, that I haven't been able to solve, is finding foods that mostly contain glucose.

Your body can already solve it for you with non-carb food sources...gluconeogenesis

It is an interesting thought, and probably how people survive on long term Keto diets.

So if you go low carb, that only leaves protein and fat?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

stevewoodz99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#7  Post by stevewoodz99 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:46 pm

12:33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dan8qtgQRi8&t=215s

talks about how being in ketosis shows the heart does more work, but uses less oxygen, so a keto diet is more efficient and provide my oxygen than glucose

sjmusic2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#8  Post by sjmusic2 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:04 am

ofonorow wrote:It is an interesting thought, and probably how people survive on long term Keto diets.

So if you go low carb, that only leaves protein and fat?

Correct.

stevewoodz99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#9  Post by stevewoodz99 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:48 am

6:07 shows a graph that shows how there is no requirement for CHO in humans
we keep a great blood sugar using the glycerol backbone of stored fat

that is one of the biggest conspiracy theories that is true against the FDA
is the the food pyramid
the people who came up with the gov recommendation of 11 servings of grains was not based on science, it was based on saving money.
the recommendation was actually 3-4 servings, based on science
7:03
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGq_EbY ... L&index=33

the scientists KNEW that by upping the CHO to 11 servings would make people fat and diseased

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#10  Post by ofonorow » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:07 pm

6:07 shows a graph that shows how there is no requirement for CHO in humans
we keep a great blood sugar using the glycerol backbone of stored fat

We've gone down this path before, arguing about glucose and ketosis. Lets review.

Question: If ketosis is beneficial, than why have the Intuit (Eskimos) who eat primarily fat (blubber) evolved a gene that blocks their going into ketosis? (This knowledge from the Masterjohn series: https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/mwm-free/2017/10/26/inuit-genetics-show-us-evolution-not-want-us-constant-ketosis-mwm-2-37/ ).

According to "advanced science" in the MM series, believe it or not, the major mechanism keeping sugar levels in the blood from dropping is the liver releasing glucose from "stored glucose" or glycogen. New knowledge is that a form of glycogen is also present in the brain. This is a good overview of what we think we know: https://dtc.ucsf.edu/types-of-diabetes/type1/understanding-type-1-diabetes/how-the-body-processes-sugar/the-liver-blood-sugar/

The "science" that thinks it has found the brain uses ketones is weak, at best. Almost non-existent.

Saying that carbs are not required in the diet ignore the facts that both the liver and brain absolutely require glucose. Per the uscf link above, there are survival mechanisms the body can use to produce some of the glucose it needs, including ketosis, which can power muscle cells, sparing the remaining glucose for the liver and brain.

I was impressed that ketosis can be avoided on a low calorie diet by taking vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid). In the paper we found, people taking the pantothenic acid on a low calorie diet, a diet which would normally drive a person into ketosis, did not go into ketosis on the B5. The rather technical explanation is that ketosis was the result of an inefficiency in energy production, which the B5 corrected.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

stevewoodz99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#11  Post by stevewoodz99 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:10 pm

I found this to support Owen:

Yet as far back as 1928, researchers conducted experiments on Inuit people who were still eating their traditional diet[10] comprised on average of 280 g of protein, 135 g of fat, and 54 g of carbohydrate per day ( the latter derived primarily from muscle glycogen found in raw meat) which established two important facts:

Inuit people were not in ketosis on their regular diet; instead, their high protein intake resulted in gluconeogenesis – just like carnivores and omnivores.
Even in the fasting state, Inuit people showed resistance to entering ketosis. The researchers observed that “On fasting he develops a ketosis, but only of mild degree compared to that observed with other human subjects.”

https://nutritionstudies.org/is-the-ket ... or-humans/

which supports what you said about Inuits/ketosis

but
Here’s the real kicker: the reason why the Inuit don’t go into ketosis as readily as other ethnic groups is the high prevalence of a deleterious mutation in the CPT1A gene.[14] This mutation permitted adaptation to a high fat, low carbohydrate diet in the sense that those carrying the gene could survive to reproductive age while eating a diet entirely at odds with our evolutionary history. However this gene is associated with high infant mortality rates due to hypoketotic hypoglycemia: when Inuit babies’ blood glucose levels drop, they are unable to utilize ketone bodies to sustain their brains. The very mutation that permits adult survival in extreme circumstances compromises infant health – a powerful example of the trade-offs inherent to evolution. Humans can indeed adapt to an extreme environment and an extreme diet, but that adaptation comes at a high cost.

this is a very interesting topic

and as George Cahill showed(1967/harvard) When you are on a keto diet, or fasting, your brain can switch from using glucose as its main fuel source to using ketones. There are however portions of the brain that do require glucose for function.

but how much glucose does the brain really need?
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/5056667/
this paper from  1972, where overweight patients fasted for 2 months and were in deep  ketosis,
then they were infused with insulin until blood glucose went as low as  9mg/dl
, but the subjects were fine; no real change in the patients
I found this video to support ketones are used by the brainhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dan8qtgQRi8 7:29which shows what I wrote above

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#12  Post by ofonorow » Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:17 pm

The little known special form of glycogen in the brain is probably the reason those with very low blood sugar seem to survive. The assumption is the brain is using keytones, but I know of little science to support that supposition.

This from Anthony William, Medical Medium, Chapter 7, has a ring of truth and puts our modern idea about "carbs" into perspective.

The fundamental fuel for your body is glucose, a simple sugar that provides all you cells with the energy they need to function, heal, grow, and thrive.

Glucose keeps us going -- and keeps us alive. The central nervous system runs on it, as does every organ in the body, including the heart. Glucose is what we use to build and sustain muscle, and it performs vital functions such as repairing damaged tissue and cells

When you eat food, your body breaks it down into glucose and places it in your bloodstream so it can travel to all your cells. However, your cells can't access the glucose directly.. They needs some help from your pancreas, which is a large endocrine gland located behind your stomach.

Your pancreas is constantly monitoring your bloodstream. When it detects a rise in glucose levels, it responds by producing a hormone called insulin. Insulin attaches to your cells and signals them to open up and absorb the glucose from your blood. Insulin therefore both allows your cells to get the energy they need and ensures your blood glucose levels remain stable.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

stevewoodz99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#13  Post by stevewoodz99 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:03 pm

Owen
so some parts of the brain dont use ketones? and have to use glucose?
but always make glucose, right?
even while fasting or on a protein diet(not enough for Gluconeogenesis )
a person's blood sugar is never 0

doesnt the heart prefer ketones?

so the brain uses ketones, just not 100% of the brain uses ketones, like other parts of the body require glucose
but the body doesnt need CHO, it makes what it needs
but a zero sugar diet or fasting is very doable

stevewoodz99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#14  Post by stevewoodz99 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:36 pm

The brain cannot run 100% exclusively on ketones (as far as I know). It will always require at least *some* glucose, but anyone who thinks the brain cannot be fueled at least in part by ketones is just plain wrong. Flat-out wrong.

I’m not sure about differences among individual brain regions in terms of glucose or ketone uptake and usage. You might have to look that up in a pretty advanced physiology textbook, or maybe try searching online… I’m sure there are papers about it.

Also, any cell that has mitochondria can use ketones for fuel, which is almost every cell in the body. There are a select few types of cells that do not have mitochondria and thus cannot use ketones, but most cells in most tissues can.

Sending from phone; please excuse any typos.
--Amy Berger is a nutritionist and freelance writer who occasionally contributes articles to DietDoctor.com. Berger receives royalties from sales of her book, The Alzheimer's Antidote: Using a Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet to Fight Alzheimer's Disease, Memory Loss, and Cognitive Decline.

I emailed her and that's what she said

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”