Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Does Vitamin C Weaken Tooth Enamel?

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:08 pm

Hi Owen,
At my recent dentist appointment they asked me if I had an acid diet as they observed some ridges and noted that the enamel on my teeth "cut like butter." (unusually soft) I've been on high dose cardio c powder about two years and wondering if I should switch to a capsule form to avoid issues with my teeth? Have you ever heard of this happening?
Best regards

Good question. Dr. Cathcart worried about this in some of his writing about high dose C, suggesting that megadosers use a straw.

However, the revelations in my other reading, explain what really is happening and why vitamin C, rather than discouraged, is highly recommended for "soft teeth," along with other specific supplements.

This is Anthony's online reference for dental health

https://www.medicalmedium.com/blog/oral-health-essentials

Notes from above article

Healing Supplements

Spirulina is an incredible supplement that will help pull heavy metals like mercury out of the intestinal tract, while also remineralizing teeth and gums. It will not pull mercury out of any silver fillings you might have, it will only draw out the mercury that’s been creating havoc in your system for years. Sovereign silver helps fight against bacterial issues and is an overall excellent support for the gums and teeth. Check out Micro-C for a great source of vitamin C, which is incredible for both gums and teeth. If a dentist indicates you may have a low-grade infection, increasing the amount of Vitamin C you are taking can be very beneficial. Coenzyme Q10 and a probiotic are two other supportive supplements. A helpful herbal tea to try out is peppermint.

Healing Foods

Aloe vera helps prevent gum recession and tooth decay. On my blog, there are instructions on how to prepare aloe water and the incredible benefits of adding this into your diet. Papaya, like aloe vera, helps fight back against ammonia in the gut. And like celery juice, it helps raise your hydrochloric acid while protecting the teeth and gums. Radishes, apples, leafy greens, celery, onions, scallions, chives, cucumbers, sesame seeds, tahini, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, ginger, and garlic can all support your oral health as well.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Does Vitamin C Weaken Tooth Enamel?

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:50 am

Owen: I talked to [local holist dentist] about acidity on my eroded teeth. They told me to rinse well immediately after chugging down the Cardio- not to sip on it AND not to brush for at least 30 minutes. If you brush after having acidic foods, you will scrap the enamel right off.

One other thing I tried was mixing the powder in solid coconut oil and swallowing that quickly with water- so it would go down in a clump rather than all over the teeth. I'm not sure if you agree with that- or if it interferes with Cardio C absorption.

Learning that taking anything with fat will block absorption into cells.e.g., glucose, and I assume vitamin C by extension.

Also, the Medical Medium recommendation is for Micro-C - which is a buffered (non acidic) form of vitamin C.

Doing what Pauling himself did, i.e., adding some sodium bicarb to the vitamin C to reduce acidity is probably a decent idea, although a magnesium powder is probably a much better idea.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

MichaelPD346
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#3  Post by MichaelPD346 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:13 am

I usually have 3 pints of water a day, each pint with a teaspoon of ascorbic acid and a quarter teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda. It's a refreshing drink, almost like drinking soda. Taking vitamin C with that much water provides hydration and also delivers the vitamin C slowly rather than in one big lump. From morning to night, I have about 12 grams of vitamin C, buffered.

Dr Richard Cheng had a video on youtube that promoted sipping pure vitamin C water throughout the day--unbuffered. It would not be practical to brush teeth and rinse mouths continually in that case, which is why I practice the buffered version of his regimen.

But I was thinking about primates who eat fruit all day and every day of their lives. The vitamin C in the fruit does not seem to affect their teeth. :?

Blanko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#4  Post by Blanko » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:49 am

My speculation is that high-dose ascorbic acid will weaken enamel since the saliva will become saturated with ascorbic acid, as will other bodily fluids. This is separate of harm from oral ingestion of the acid. When I am taking high doses of ascorbic acid I am convinced I can taste it in my mouth. Over time this will weaken teeth. How much I don't know. The OP says their teeth cut like butter.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by pamojja » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:40 am

As child had chalk teeth due to being treated with tetracyline as new-born (against pneumonia). As young adult had 12 teeth left only.

15 years ago, I started taking in average 25 g of ascorbic acid a day against chronic disease. The only tooth pulled since was my only root-canal treated, and most likely contributing to my disease onset. Not one lost due to high ascorbic acid intake for 15 years (without precautions, like drinking with a straw).

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”