"Vitamin C inducing weeks long chronic fatigue not relieved by sleep"

Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

Blanko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"Vitamin C inducing weeks long chronic fatigue not relieved by sleep"

Post Number:#1  Post by Blanko » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:47 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/NutritionalPsychiatry/comments/uby02o/vitamin_c_inducing_weeks_long_chronic_fatigue_not/

Any thoughts on anecdotes like this? I found it after viewing the Mayo Clinic's page on ascorbic acid, which says taking too much can cause fatigue or insomnia.

Another anecdote of the same kind:

Vitamin C makes me dead tired: https://www.reddit.com/r/Nootropics/comments/oq8iah/vitamin_c_makes_me_dead_tired/?xpromo_edp=enabled

One more example, but I could find many more:

Extreme fatigue and depression from high dose Vit C? Is this an adrenal fatigue thing? https://www.reddit.com/r/adrenalfatigue/comments/ycbu06/extreme_fatigue_and_depression_from_high_dose_vit/

In the comments there: "Ascorbic acid makes me drowsy as well!"

Noticed this as well:

"Vitamin C (any form) causes me to experience Sleep Apnea, Heart palpitations, bone pains & more."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Supplements/co ... nce_sleep/

In the comments there: "yeah, it gives me heart palpitations too. so weird."

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: "Vitamin C inducing weeks long chronic fatigue not relieved by sleep"

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:05 am

Regarding the first post, if true

I take no other supplements.

Contact us again when this person is following Linus Pauling's complete regimen. as can be found at various places at this forum, e.g.https://vitamincfoundation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11648&p=60089&hilit=800+vitamin+E#p60089

How to Live Longer and Feel Better

Take vitamin C every day, 6 grams to 18 g (6000 to 18,000 milligrams), or more. Do not miss a single day.
Take vitamin E every day, 400 IU, 800 IU, or 1600 IU.
Take one or two Super-B tablets every day, to provide good amounts of the B-vitamins.
Take 25,000 IU vitamin A tablet every day.
Take a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement every day
Keep your intake of ordinary sugar (sucrose, raw sugar, brown sugar, honey) to 50 pounds per year, which is half the present U.S. average. Do not add sugar to tea or coffee. Do not eat high-sugar foods. Avoid sweet desserts. Do not drink soft drink.
Except for avoiding sugar, eat what you like - but not too much of any one food. Eggs and meat are good foods. Also you should eat some vegetables and fruits. Do not eat so much food as to become obese.
Drink plenty of water every day.
Keep active; take some exercise. Do not at any time exert yourself physically to an extent far beyond what you are accustomed to.
Drink alcoholic beverages only in moderation.
Do not smoke cigarettes.
Avoid stress. Work at a job that you like. Be happy with your family.

from his 1986 book HOW TO LIVE LONGER AND FEEL BETTER..

A complete guess. Such a reaction may be related to the adrenal glands which attempt to "steal" as much vitamin C as they can. They normally have the highest concentration of vitamin C in the body, maybe second to the brain, and the vitamin C surge may fool the body that a good amount of vitamin C is now available... Creating a low vitamin C condition (aka the rebound effect) when the vitamin C is suddenly discontinued.

Probably not wise to take a large amount and then stop abruptly. Taper off and remember Pauling's advice

Linus Pauling, HOW TO LIVE LONGER AND FEEL BETTER wrote:Do not stop taking vitamin C, even for a single day.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Blanko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by Blanko » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:18 pm

I see no magnesium in the above. There's a multi, but a multi can only have a tiny amount of elemental magnesium without requiring many large pills. Most people seem to benefit from supplemental magnesium.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by pamojja » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:17 am

The orginal text in the book is this:

How to Live Longer and Feel Better

• Take vitamin C every day, 6 grams to 18 g (6000 to 18,000 milligrams), or more. Do not miss a single day.
  • Take vitamin E every day, 400 IU, 800 IU, or 1600 IU.
  • Take one or two Super-B tablets every day, to provide good amounts of the B-vitamins.
  • Take 25,000 IU vitamin A tablet every day.
  • Take a mineral supplement every day, such as one tablet of the Bronson vitamin-mineral formula, which provides 100 mg of calcium, 18 mg of iron, 0.15 mg of iodine, 1 mg of copper, 25 mg of magnesium, 3 mg of manganese, 15 mg of zinc, 0.015 mg of molybdenum, 0.015 mg of chromium, and 0.015 mg of selenium.
  • Keep your intake of ordinary sugar (sucrose, raw sugar, brown sugar, honey) to 50 pounds per year, which is half the present U.S. average. Do not add sugar to tea or coffee. Do not eat high-sugar foods. Avoid sweet desserts. Do not drink soft drink.
  • Except for avoiding sugar, eat what you like - but not too much of any one food. Eggs and meat are good foods. Also you should eat some vegetables and fruits. Do not eat so much food as to become obese.
  • Drink plenty of water every day.
  • Keep active; take some exercise. Do not at any time exert yourself physically to an extent far beyond what you are accustomed to.
  • Drink alcoholic beverages only in moderation.
  • Do not smoke cigarettes.
  • Avoid stress. Work at a job that you like. Be happy with your family.

You may not forget, this was 1986 edition. Vitamin D was allegdely available only as D2. No vitamin K2. Much of further reseach simply not yet available. I'm sure nowadays he would include vitamin D3, K2, much more magnesium, Tocotrienols, Omega3, CoQ10 and some other amino acids too.

Additonal meant as economical supplementation for healthy individuals only. By far not enough with patients with multiple chronic co-morbities, as mentioned in OP.

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”