Question regarding Lp(a) Testing - Where to get it?

Ask questions, seek advice, or share your experience with vitamin C

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Question regarding Lp(a) Testing - Where to get it?

Post by ofonorow » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:00 am

Hi Owen,
I was wondering if you could answer a question regarding the Lp(a) test.
If I were to request this test from a standard physician would they know how to do the test correctly or would it need to be done by a holistic doctor?
Thanks so much for your time!

Great question! The type of lab test, not the doctor, is the issue. I mean the problem is that the company I trusted and relied on, Atherotech VAP test, has gone out of business. They measured (and didn't calculate) the Lp(a) value.

Once upon a time you could order your own VAP test from Life Extension. LEF.ORG.. Might be worth a look there.

Just ask for a "measured lp(a) test" . The "big box" labs, e.g. Quest and Labcore, etc. now "calculate" Lp(a) because the FDA allowed that years ago. Numbers between the two methods were different and never made sense. The FDA rationale is there was nothing known that could lower Lp(a) anyway.. so why bother measuring...

There is a wrinkle. Now that Cardiologist have this wildly expensive new drug that lowers Lp(a), maybe the Lp(a) numbers are more reliable?. I think the drug is something like $16,000 per monthly injection, or something ridiculous like that. No one cares since insurance pays.

However, given the incentive to now find high Lp(a) - to put them on that drug - I bet the Lp(a) numbers are more reliable, and perhaps inflated these days.

I know some of our long-time customers are on this drug, because their cardiologist said their Lp(a) was high. (They were obviously concerned that their Cardio C wasn't working. I doubt that very much)

I remember once upon a time, long long lago, when I wanted to verify the VAP test, I drew blood on the same day at the local hospital. If memory serves, (don't count on it, my memory is good, but short) I didn't even need a doctors order, and the hospital test result matched the VAP test. Maybe they were both around 3 mg/dl.

And then there is "walk-in lab". Might check them out and ask if they measure Lp(a)?

Let us know what you find out.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ILoveParis
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Question regarding Lp(a) Testing - Where to get it?

Post by ILoveParis » Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:10 pm

My primary care doctor tested. He is a regular MD. I think Loyola in Chicago sent it out to Quest Labs.
My sister got her primary care doctor in Reno to test her based on the fact that I have Lpa and it's genetic.
She went to LabCorp.
We both have high cholesterol so that helped us get tested. We both have high Lpa.

Return to “General Discussion Topics and Issues”