Watched 'What the Health?' Eye-opening, but why is sugar good?

The discussion of advanced medical knowledge now channeled through the Medical Medium Anthony William. This knowledge amounts to perfect Naturopathy. Knowing what causes chronic and other disease, the followers of Linus Pauling extend Naturopathy with human-based nutritional science Pauling called orthomolecular (right molecules) in therapeutic amounts.

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Watched 'What the Health?' Eye-opening, but why is sugar good?

Post Number:#1  Post by ofonorow » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:44 am

another brother wrote:Watched "What the Health". Strong case for plant-based diet, not sure I could go cold turkey (so to speak) but certainly will start by cutting down on meat and dairy and learning about alternative choices. (I do make a mean red beans and rice.)

What I didn't catch is why eating sugar is good. Personally, and any disease aside, my body reacts to sugar as though its an addictive toxin. I can feel it affecting me and am likely to wind up passed out after consuming even a moderate amount.

Great question! I happen to have been first educated by the second book in the Medical Medium series, just before seeing WTH? I was just getting over the shock of the medical medium saying, "avoid eggs, butter, in fact all dairy, and especially fat." When WTH? starts by saying, 'sugar doesn't cause diabetes' I immediately resonated, and both sources came together.

Sugar as glucose is like gasoline for your car engine. It is the prime nutrient to power cells.

Many things are sweetened with high FRUCTOSE corn syrup, and it is not wrong to consider HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) a poison.

Fructose sounds good, right, but the new knowledge is that both the liver and brain require GLUCOSE, and in fact the brain, contrary to popular belief is mostly carbohydrate.

Eating fat causes the liver to produce bile, the more fat, the more bile which is necessary to keep the fat from completely clogging your blood vessels.

This is the essence of the why and how fat stresses the liver, and then the body.

When there is fat in the blood stream, its like slime, lets think of pouring oil into the gas tank. It clogs the entry of glucose by blocking it, as the WTH? film clearly illustrated.

I now literally feel the fat I eat blocking sugar getting into cells, and I can monitor it on my Libre. The more FAT I eat, the harder sugar is to control, while glucose/sugar does not cause a problem. Yes more insulin is required the more sugar, but as you will learn, when glucose is DRIVEN into cells (presumably by insulin the book doesn't get to that level of detail.) the other nutrients around or with the glucose are also driven into cells. Ergo, fat in the bloodstream blocking glucose is also blocking nutrients.

Now that the stage is set..

another brother wrote:Watched "What the Health". Strong case for plant-based diet, not sure I could go cold turkey (so to speak) but certainly will start by cutting down on meat and dairy and learning about alternative choices. (I do make a mean red beans and rice.)

Your sister-in-law, and I had been doing Jason Fung's intermittent fasting, eating the main meal in a short interval, i.e., only eating between 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. daily.

With the new Medical Medium Inspired grazing routine - a fruit and vegetable every 2 hours - we are eating instead of fasting :-) No fat most of the day.

What I didn't catch is why eating sugar is good. Personally, and any disease aside, my body reacts to sugar as though its an addictive toxin. I can feel it affecting me and am likely to wind up passed out after consuming even a moderate amount.

Me too, so remember, that most products are sweetened with High Fructose Corn Syrup, which is NOT the gasoline that your cells require to function.

Eating GLUCOSE is good, as you will read, particularly in the first book chapters on Autism and PTSD.

Ordinary sugar isn't bad, lets say, even if you are diabetic, so long as you a) are producing insulin, and b) taking nutrients (think eating fruits) with the sugar, and c) limit fat (sludge) to 10% of calories.

As strange as it seems, at least to me, a diabetic needs glucose as much as anyone. Few people know that it is the fat they eat, which blocks their cells from getting the glucose they need, leading to amputations, blindness. etc. In a way, eating fat is a lot like not making insulin.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Watched 'What the Health?' Eye-opening, but why is sugar good?

Post Number:#2  Post by pamojja » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:17 am

ofonorow wrote: and in fact the brain, contrary to popular belief is mostly carbohydrate.

Not exactly:

https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/be ... cts/3461/2

Beef, variety meats and by-products, brain, raw

Calorie Information
Amounts Per 100g Serving

Calories 143 (599 kJ)

From Carbohydrate 3.7 (15.5 kJ)

From Fat 92.9 (389 kJ)

From Protein 46.4 (194 kJ)

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#3  Post by ofonorow » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:28 pm

Could be a "black swan". Thank you pamojja.

I think Anthony claims that our brains are mostly "gylcogen" but I haven't seen that claim in writing, and he was "disconnected" during the Unknown Causes of Alzheimer's podcast. And I might have it wrong. I've wanted to listen to that talk again anyway.

So the truth of this matter depends on what constitutes "fat" in the eyes of the USDA/food authority. If Cholesterol is counted as fat, then they could both be right. And "mostly" may mean that actual fats - fatty acids - in the brain are less than the carbohydrate, assuming "glycogen" is considered or counted as carbohydrate.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:19 am

pamojja, I now believe that I heard wrong, and he never said the brain was "mostly" carbohydrate, but I am quite certain he said we'd be surprised how little essential fatty acids the brain requires. The new information was the existence of a glycogen store on the order of the livers. So while I find time to relisten, if you read this, would you do me a favor and post the same USDA (fat/protein/carb) information for liver?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by pamojja » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:25 am

ofonorow wrote:would you do me a favor and post the same USDA (fat/protein/carb) information for liver?

Here you go:

https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/be ... cts/3468/2

Beef, variety meats and by-products, liver, raw

Calorie Information
Amounts Per 100g Serving

Calories 135 (565 kJ)

From Carbohydrate 15.3 (64.1 kJ)

From Fat 32.7 (137 kJ)

From Protein 86.9 (364 kJ)

On this site some more information on brains: http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/facts.html

ofonorow wrote:The new information was the existence of a glycogen store on the order of the livers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycogen doesn't mention:

Glycogen functions as one of two forms of long-term energy reserves, with the other form being triglyceride stores in adipose tissue (i.e., body fat). In humans, glycogen is made and stored primarily in the cells of the liver and skeletal muscle.[4][5] In the liver, glycogen can make up 5–6% of the organ's fresh weight, and the liver of an adult weighing 70 kg can store roughly 100–120 grams of glycogen.[4][6] In skeletal muscle, glycogen is found in a low concentration (1–2% of the muscle mass) and the skeletal muscle of an adult weighing 70 kg stores roughly 400 grams of glycogen.[4] The amount of glycogen stored in the body—particularly within the muscles and liver—mostly depends on physical training, basal metabolic rate, and eating habits. Small amounts of glycogen are also found in other tissues and cells, including the kidneys, red blood cells,[7][8][9] white blood cells,[10] and glial cells in the brain.[11] The uterus also stores glycogen during pregnancy to nourish the embryo.[12]

Approximately 4 grams of glucose are present in the blood of humans at all times;[4] in fasted individuals, blood glucose is maintained constant at this level at the expense of glycogen stores in the liver and skeletal muscle.[4] Glycogen stores in skeletal muscle serve as a form of energy storage for the muscle itself;[4] however, the breakdown of muscle glycogen impedes muscle glucose uptake, thereby increasing the amount of blood glucose available for use in other tissues.[4] Liver glycogen stores serve as a store of glucose for use throughout the body, particularly the central nervous system.[4] The human brain consumes approximately 60% of blood glucose in fasted, sedentary individuals.[4]

sjmusic2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#6  Post by sjmusic2 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:43 am

I find this sudden promotion of MM and WTH bewildering. It appears that all scientific objectivity has been replaced by dogma. The fact that you happily wrote that the brain is mostly carbohydrate and it didn't raise a red flag is one example and the promotion of glucose and sucrose as acceptable nutrients is dangerous when there is so much published research regarding the over-consumption. For a start, think of the effects on the microbiome, which is central to good health and vitality.

Brain vs liver glycogen...
Glycogen, a glucose polymer consisting of many thousands of glucose units connected by a mixture of α 1–4 and α 1–6 glycosidic bonds, is normally considered to function as a glucose store. Certainly, in the liver, which contains a very large amount of glycogen (approx. 100–500 μ mol/g), its function as a glucose reservoir securing a constant blood glucose level under a variety of conditions is well recognized. In the brain, however, the glycogen content is limited averaging 3–12 μ mol/g tissue and its role as an energy source during aglycemia is restricted to a few minutes and hence, it is unlikely that the major functional role of glycogen would be accounted for as an energy source during such conditions (Brown, 2004). It is much more likely that glycogen serves a dynamic role during normal brain function and recent studies have provided evidence that this may indeed be the case (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3291878)

WTH has been dissected repeatedly and there are many very well-written articles explaining the deficiencies (and political agenda) of it's creators.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but this is undermining what was until now a wonderful, science-based forum.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#7  Post by pamojja » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:08 am

sjmusic2 wrote:I don't mean to sound harsh, but this is undermining what was until now a wonderful, science-based forum.

We old timers here have experienced psychotic episodes of Owen, like when he believed a crash with the mytical planet nimiru is immanent, or when he wanted to force every forum member here to join twitter to give him a like. This new episode too will very likely pass in a few weeks time. And all the undermining material will disappear from view again.

There is nothing further then calm reasoning, of what we can do for Owen during such difficult times, and wait till it passes again.

sjmusic2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#8  Post by sjmusic2 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:56 am

pamojja wrote:
There is nothing further then calm reasoning, of what we can do for Owen during such difficult times, and wait till it passes again.

...maybe he can increase his AA beyond bowel tolerance and flush the silly's out :)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

johnjackson
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#9  Post by johnjackson » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:44 pm

sjmusic2 wrote:I find this sudden promotion of MM and WTH bewildering. .

what does MM stand for?
wth=what the health. right?

btw, sugar is good if you want to grow, kids need sugar/carbs
/www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/12154.php

medcraveonline.com/JCCR/JCCR-09-00341.php

//riordanclinic.org/2014/02/high-dose-intravenous-vitamin-c-as-a-successful-treatment-of-viral-infections/

lpa
http://www.drkaslow.com/html/lipoprotein_a.html

sjmusic2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#10  Post by sjmusic2 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:33 pm

MM = medical medium

wth, correct.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#11  Post by ofonorow » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:19 am

Thanks for this perspective, I do appreciate you sjmusic2 taking the time to convey it. And pamojja is correct. I was worried about a possible brown dwarf star, binary companion to our Sun, after spending many years reading and admiring the works of Zecharia Sitchin (The Earth Chronicles). I am no longer worried. And we had moved that discussion to a private forum.. But I do listen to Jared Rand's podcast :-) I'm just saying...

And last year I was literally out of my mind. The normal replacement dosage for cortisol is 40 mg/day. Because of an infected hernia mesh, I was forced to take closer to 200 mg/day. (If you look at the Physicians Desk Reference, Pfiser recommends something like 400 to 800 mg, every couple of hours during surgery.) Jefferies (Safe Uses of Cortisol) wrote that high doses cause a temporary mania. I confirm that.

Now. The mesh has been removed, and other than a Keto Flu last May (when I tried to reduce/eliminate my exogenous insulin after reading Jason Fung) I have been well - mentally and physically, although MORE than a little excited over the MM material :D . Its not a phase I am going through, I assure you, but I will offer you a challenge sjmusic2. Read. You can help me overcome this "new mania" by reading and finding one thing wrong that proves this material isn't what it says it is. The glycogen/brain issue is probably key. Either you are correct, or...

sjmusic2 wrote:I find this sudden promotion of MM and WTH bewildering. It appears that all scientific objectivity has been replaced by dogma. The fact that you happily wrote that the brain is mostly carbohydrate and it didn't raise a red flag is one example and the promotion of glucose and sucrose as acceptable nutrients is dangerous when there is so much published research regarding the over-consumption. For a start, think of the effects on the microbiome, which is central to good health and vitality.

Brain vs liver glycogen...
Glycogen, a glucose polymer consisting of many thousands of glucose units connected by a mixture of α 1–4 and α 1–6 glycosidic bonds, is normally considered to function as a glucose store. Certainly, in the liver, which contains a very large amount of glycogen (approx. 100–500 μ mol/g), its function as a glucose reservoir securing a constant blood glucose level under a variety of conditions is well recognized. In the brain, however, the glycogen content is limited averaging 3–12 μ mol/g tissue and its role as an energy source during aglycemia is restricted to a few minutes and hence, it is unlikely that the major functional role of glycogen would be accounted for as an energy source during such conditions (Brown, 2004). It is much more likely that glycogen serves a dynamic role during normal brain function and recent studies have provided evidence that this may indeed be the case (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3291878)

WTH has been dissected repeatedly and there are many very well-written articles explaining the deficiencies (and political agenda) of it's creators.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but this is undermining what was until now a wonderful, science-based forum.

Re WTH? - Have you seen it? Why do you need others to dissect it for you? (When you watch, note the medical doctor in the 1940s who reported curing diabetes with sugar and apples :D

The fact that you happily wrote that the brain is mostly carbohydrate

That may have been my error, because I thought i heard Anthony say that on the UNEXPLAINED CAUSES OF ALZHEIMER'S.. I will take the time to relisten and quote exactly what he said.. His point is / was, that the brain requires relatively small amounts of fat, and its primary food is glucose (already known) and that it contains previously unknown stores of glycogen.

Anybody eat brain? Is it sweet or not?

the promotion of glucose and sucrose as acceptable nutrients is dangerous when there is so much published research regarding the over-consumption. For a start, think of the effects on the microbiome, which is central to good health and vitality.

Very interesting that you should bring this up, because in the first MM book, it is said that "fructose" enters the blood stream in 3-6 minutes, bypassing the intestinal tract (making the microbiome issue moot). Few in the world would notice, except we at the Foundation who measured ascorbic acid entering the blood stream in 3 minutes!
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#12  Post by pamojja » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:21 am

ofonorow wrote:Re WTH? - Have you seen it? Why do you need others to dissect it for you?

I could only bear to watch for 5 minutes, just too much unfounded propaganda not based on anything than faith, making me ashamed of mentioning ever having been low-fat vegetarian. I'm glad others dissected it for others, for not having to endure so much shaming.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#13  Post by pamojja » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:40 am

ofonorow wrote:(When you watch, note the medical doctor in the 1940s who reported curing diabetes with sugar and apples :D

A good write up here: https://deniseminger.com/2015/10/06/in- ... ht-part-1/

However, as an other author noted:

Well, what was the average intake of rice? 250 gm. That is a bit more than 1 cup, or 850 calories or so. On average, they also take 100 grams of sugar. That would be 387 calories. We don’t know about fruit, but this was the 1950s before white peaches, before golden pineapples, and well before jumbo California strawberries are available year round. So we’ll guess that an average person on the Rice Diet would be taking a total about 1400 calories a day, virtually all carbohydrates.

How does this compare to the standard diet? Well, an average person would take 2400 calories, for example, and we will estimate 60% carbohydrates. That make it about 1400 calories of carbohydrates. This Rice Diet was not Carbocalypse at all! It was simply the same number of carbs but without any of the protein or fat. Protein also stimulates insulin, and it may also contribute to weight gain. So what we are comparing is 1400 calories of carbohydrates alone, or 1400 calories of carbs with another 1000 calories of fat/ protein. No surprise here, the 1400 calories of carbs alone wins.

The truth, of course, is that the Rice Diet is only one more example of the unrealistic monotonous diets that occasionally gain faddish supporters. The potatoe diet, optifast, slimfast, the grapefruit diet etc. If you only eat one thing, it quickly becomes monotonous and all pleasure is lost in eating. So you will eat only if absolutely necessary to avoid starvation because, well, it’s gross. Kempner would, on occasion, whip his patients to help compliance. The problem is that once you start eating normally, all the weight comes back.

sjmusic2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#14  Post by sjmusic2 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:23 am

Owen, I appreciate your responses, but...

1/ I have both watched WTH and read Liver Rescue, so your associated points are moot.
2/ Whether you misheard or not, why wasn't a red flag raised in your mind when you believed the brain to be mostly carbs ? Blind faith acceptance = suspended objectivity = (religious) dogma.
3/ Fructose is absorbed in the small intestine by enterocytes primarily using the GLUT5 transport mechanism and high intake can influence the microbiome...
Gut microbial adaptation to dietary consumption of fructose, artificial sweeteners and sugar alcohols: implications for host-microbe interactions contributing to obesity. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22686435

Some of your 'facts' from MM are by definition lacking in objectivity, "because the spirit says so" does not expose it to he rigors of scientific method, imo by design. There may very well be some factual insight contained therein but it is wrapped in dogma and verifiably incorrect statements which cultivate challenges to integrity.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#15  Post by ofonorow » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:37 am

I listened again to UNEXPLAINED CAUSE OF ALZHEIMERS on soundcloud.
https://soundcloud.com/medicalmedium/unknown-cause-of-alzheimers

Minute 19: "Brain is not made of fat. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong" Hardly any fat

Minute 20 Second 50:: Made of carbs, made of a different type of glycogen.

Minutes 22 Second 40: Made of sugar, living carbs. Discussion of brain surgeon who agrees - brain not made of fat

Anthony made the another reference to the brain being "made out of carbohydrate" was minute 26 second 48 and then later toward the - so this is definitely a black swan if incorrect.

Thinking about it, since the brain is an electrical device, does it really make sense that it is made out of fat?

sjmusic2 wrote:Owen, I appreciate your responses, but...

1/ I have both watched WTH and read Liver Rescue, so your associated points are moot.

Great. I stand corrected. Although why would you then reference other authorities and what they think? Lets start a topic on where the documentary is wrong :-) Or continue, the only problem I had was the cardiologists interviewed who were afraid of cholesterol and salt. (Cholesterol holds fat, is it fat?)

And please confirm that it was Anthony Williams LIVER RESCUE that you read (and if so, it is surprising you didn't recognize "medical medium.")

2/ Whether you misheard or not, why wasn't a red flag raised in your mind when you believed the brain to be mostly carbs ? Blind faith acceptance = suspended objectivity = (religious) dogma.

Absolutely surprising.. But the entire picture is coming together as you read everything. Don't misread my tongue-in-check comments as my praying to a new Oracle. I want to test everything, and in particular, this idea that the brain is "mostly carbohydrate." Could the brain be firing neurons if it were mostly fat?

3/ Fructose is absorbed in the small intestine by enterocytes primarily using the GLUT5 transport mechanism and high intake can influence the microbiome...
Gut microbial adaptation to dietary consumption of fructose, artificial sweeteners and sugar alcohols: implications for host-microbe interactions contributing to obesity. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22686435

Another black swan, potentially, however, as I said, we used glucose meters to measure AA entry into the blood stream - in 3 minutes. Johnwen, (bless his heart, hope he is well) argued strongly for entry through the intestinal tract. Doesn't/can't happen in 3 minutes
https://www.vitamincfoundation.org/pdfs/Final-BioPaper-Jom-April-2018.pdf

Some of your 'facts' from MM are by definition lacking in objectivity, "because the spirit says so" does not expose it to he rigors of scientific method, imo by design. There may very well be some factual insight contained therein but it is wrapped in dogma and verifiable incorrect statements which cultivate challenges to integrity.

Yes, this is strange, to say the least. "Some" factual insight? This is the purpose of this forum and the debate. You also need to open your mind that everything you learned may have been in error. I am only 3 weeks in, and in awe. I have to revise many of my articles, and if you believe in Earth science so much, why then hasn't Linus Pauling theory and treatment for CVD ever been investigated?
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info

Return to “Medical Medium Inspired Orthopathy (Orthomolecular Naturopathy)”