Triage Theory and Topical Vitamin C

Forum devoted to the topical use of Vitamin C for the improvement of the skin, production of collagen, and general antiaging.

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

OxC
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Triage Theory and Topical Vitamin C

Post Number:#1  Post by OxC » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:07 pm

In a recent discussion, a forum member cited this article Vitamin K, an example of triage theory: is micronutrient inadequacy linked to diseases of aging? The reference to “diseases of aging” is very interesting in regard to the anti-aging effects of vitamin C on the skin. And “triage theory” posits that some functions of micronutrients are restricted during shortage and that functions required for short-term survival take precedence over those that are less essential. This concept greatly supports the use of vitamin C applied to the skin.

It appears that in the human body, the skin ranks as very low-priority compared to other organs when it comes to short-term survival. For example, when a person suffers circulatory shock, practically the first symptom is cold, clammy skin as vasoconstriction shuts down the blood supply to the skin to preserve blood and oxygen for the heart, lungs and brain. And interestingly, the first symptoms of scurvy are skin lesions (perifollicular hemorrhage), apparently because the body somehow favors the distribution of the limited amount of vitamin C to more crucial organs. Way back in 1699, a famous French surgeon described the condition of cadavers from patients who died of scurvy (a very gruesome account to read) but he noted that “What was very surprising, the brains of these poor people were always sound and entire.” Clearly the body had somehow reserved the very last of the vitamin C for the brain.

Normal levels of vitamin C in skin vary widely, and in some cases the levels found are higher than ANY other tissue. It appears that when there is plenty, the body deposits it heavily in skin. It also appears likely that whenever there is any deficiency (whether that be inadequate intake or increased consumption by other tissues), the skin is the first organ to suffer.

The neat thing about topical application of vitamin C is that the skin gets the first crack at absorbing it, rather than being at the end-of-the-line as it is with oral consumption. It would seem that topical use would benefit almost everyone, even those who consume a lot orally.
Douglas Q. Kitt, founder of ReCverin LLC, sellers of stabilized dehydroascorbic acid solutions.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Triage Theory and Topical Vitamin C

Post Number:#2  Post by pamojja » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:07 pm

OxC wrote:It would seem that topical use would benefit almost everyone, even those who consume a lot orally.

Personally found I'm not disciplined enough to apply consistently. As something to effect the whole skin - a pretty huge organ - it would has to by applied to the whole body repeatedly. Tried transdermal Mg for a few summer months, but without better effects than oral, lost interest soon.

But please report anyone who gives it a trial. Probably best be used with DMSO for double benefits.

OxC
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#3  Post by OxC » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:54 pm

pamojja wrote:Personally found I'm not disciplined enough to apply consistently.

It seems like everything that's good for us requires some degree of discipline, but I don't find applying a skin serum once a day particularly onerous. Usually just rub some on after I shower.
Douglas Q. Kitt, founder of ReCverin LLC, sellers of stabilized dehydroascorbic acid solutions.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by pamojja » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:49 am

OxC wrote:Usually just rub some on after I shower.

So you just mix some vitamin C with water? Without any DMSO?

For how long you've been doing it? Have you observed any effects?

OxC
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#5  Post by OxC » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:01 am

pamojja wrote:So you just mix some vitamin C with water? Without any DMSO?

I use ReCverin 50/50.
pamojja wrote:For how long you've been doing it?

About 8 years.
pamojja wrote:Have you observed any effects?

The first thing I noticed was how resistant my skin became to sunburn. I'm an outdoors kind of guy, and throughout my earlier years at times suffered sunburns from being careless about sun exposure and using sunscreen. On one occasion, a sunburn on my shoulders and upper back was very severe, and I developed from that single occurrence freckles all over that area. Since using topical Vitamin C regularly, I haven't had any kind of serious sunburn; long exposures have occasionally resulted in a mild redness that disappeared by the next day. The freckles are still there and will be 'til I die I imagine, but their appearance is much more subdued since I started using C topically.

My skin's flexibility and tone is pleasing to me. I'm 65 now, and I certainly have lines and wrinkles on my face. But I had those 8 years ago also, and they really haven't changed much. Likewise the skin on the backs of my hands also show signs of aging but haven't changed much since 8 years ago. I truly wish that I had begun using topical C when I was a very young man, because it is clear to me that the biggest benefit is preventing damage and slowing down the aging process in the skin. Only time will tell if my skin will become thin and fragile and covered with purple marks if and when I become truly elderly.

I wish I could explain to all young people the concept that using topical C is a lot like brushing your teeth. You aren't really trying to make your teeth better so much as you're just trying to prevent cavities and gum disease. It's not a perfect analogy, because vitamin C can help restore skin a little bit, but it is far better to prevent damage than try to correct it after the fact.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#6  Post by pamojja » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:02 am

OxC wrote:The first thing I noticed was how resistant my skin became to sunburn. I'm an outdoors kind of guy, and throughout my earlier years at times suffered sunburns from being careless about sun exposure and using sunscreen. On one occasion, a sunburn on my shoulders and upper back was very severe, and I developed from that single occurrence freckles all over that area. Since using topical Vitamin C regularly, I haven't had any kind of serious sunburn; long exposures have occasionally resulted in a mild redness that disappeared by the next day. The freckles are still there and will be 'til I die I imagine, but their appearance is much more subdued since I started using C topically.

Funny you mention that. Because I've searching for others who had that effect, but till now found none.

Personally started comprehensive supplementation with Pauling's therapy almost 10 years ago. Since about 6 years I didn't experience even the slightest sunburn. And I tried really hard to test this, by going every year since 2012 in the deepest winter for six weeks to a South Indian beach, sunbathing and swimming each day at about 10-12AM and 3:30-5:30 PM, without any suncream.

However, in my case I attributed it not only to the in average 24 g/d of oral ascorbic acid, but also other supplements known to help with UV-damage (lycopene, astaxanthin..).

OxC
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Post Number:#7  Post by OxC » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:05 pm

pamojja wrote:And I tried really hard to test this, by going every year since 2012 in the deepest winter for six weeks to a South Indian beach, sunbathing and swimming each day at about 10-12AM and 3:30-5:30 PM, without any suncream.

Now that's an experiment I'd really like to do! :D

Return to “Topical Vitamin C”