Does DMSO improve absorption of L-ascorbic acid into skin, and is it a good idea for cosmetic use?

Forum devoted to the topical use of Vitamin C for the improvement of the skin, production of collagen, and general antiaging.

Moderators: ofonorow, popnowlin

OxC
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

Does DMSO improve absorption of L-ascorbic acid into skin, and is it a good idea for cosmetic use?

Post by OxC » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:51 am

Douglas Q. Kitt, founder of ReCverin LLC, sellers of stabilized dehydroascorbic acid solutions.

pamojja
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Does DMSO improve absorption of L-ascorbic acid into skin, and is it a good idea for cosmetic use?

Post by pamojja » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:44 am

OxC wrote:
The effect of the enhancer is concentration-dependent and generally cosolvents containing > 60% DMSO are needed for optimum enhancement efficacy. However, at these relative high concentrations, DMSO can cause erythema and wheal of the stratum corneum. Denaturing of some skin proteins results in erythema, scaling, contact uticaria, stinging and burning sensation.

Thanks for your search. Though it doesn't convince me - beside all the invitro studies - since 70% solution transdermal never caused wrinkles, erythema, scaling, dry skin, or etc. for me.

Some are concerned about this study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24327606

Though I honestly believe such concentration are never reached in the eye, if not applied directly.

Return to “Topical Vitamin C”