Vitamin C reduces incidence of Gout

This forum will focus on analyzing recent clinical studies of vitamin C.

Moderator: ofonorow

mountainofdew

Re: Vitamin C reduces incidence of Gout

Post Number:#16  Post by mountainofdew » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:52 am

Thanks Maj., and Mr. Fonorow. I used the word excrete when I should have used absorbed. I got a little over excited about iron, and xanthine oxidase. I still think magnesium is worth addressing in my diet, and the vitamin c will help with iron in the mean time. I quit sugar, and most carbs starting last November. I am drinking coffee with milk. I haven't looked at the cortisol route yet. I will continue to study what is available. I am also thinking about dental amalgams, and how mercury may play a role in my gout as well.

I haven't had an attack in a while. I attribute that to my low carb diet. However, I think vitamin c is beneficial to my overall health, and may help my body address the damage that I have done with sugar in the past. Thanks for the assistance. I do like this board as a resource. I know it's main function is vitamin c, and will keep that in mind. V/R

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#17  Post by ofonorow » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:18 am

Thanks to johnwen, you can purchase hydrocortizone skin cream, per his calculations, and find out without a prescription whether cortisol controls your gout symptoms! See the end of this long thread: http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9194&start=90
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

mountainofdew

Post Number:#18  Post by mountainofdew » Wed May 02, 2012 5:29 pm

Here is an interesting study about gout. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14522726

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#19  Post by ofonorow » Thu May 03, 2012 2:53 am

I haven't had an attack in a while.

If and when you do, I'd be interested in weather topical hydrocortisone cream seems to help. Thx
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

mountainofdew

Post Number:#20  Post by mountainofdew » Thu May 03, 2012 9:39 pm

I had an attack starting 4am on May 2nd. Triggered by interval training. This attack is gone in almost 48 hours. The intensity of the pain during the attack (left ankle) was easily managed with 2 doses of 400mg ibuprofen. I did not notice any swelling, or redness. No, I didn't use any hc cream. I will leave that as an option for next time if there is one, and if I have the money. The cream is probably a better option than ibuprofen.

At my first gout attack I was 68.5 in tall, and 163 pounds. I didn't know what gout was, and thought I had jammed my toe. This was in November of 2003.

The last major attack was last year. The attack lasted about 2 weeks in left ankle, and another 5 days in the left big toe joint. I was at 198 lbs. last year. The swelling was so bad that my foot would not fit in a shoe. Not to mention the pain of that process. Of course, that was not unusual for a typical gout attack. It just lasted much longer than normal.

Prior to vitamin/ mineral supplementation, diet change, and loss of 40 pounds. A typical gout attack would last about 6 days. The attacks were getting longer, and more difficult to get rid of. Pain was pretty severe. Swelling, heat, and redness, were common symptoms.

I think in my particular case the inflammation has become much easier to control. I hope to see further improvement after a few months of continued supplementing. My latest theory on my case of gout: I spent years drinking drinking soda,from 1994 to 2011 . I was drinking a 2 liter a day at my worst in 2011. I believe that I am glucose sensitive. I also think that the soda habit, and poor diet, caused vitamin, and mineral deficiencies. These deficiencies, and my heritage, caused me to have gout. I am not methodical by nature. So, I haven't tested for deficiency, or recorded event durations, and frequency. Although, I am considering starting a gout journal now.

The other variable that I haven't mentioned. I plan on getting the amalgam fillings replaced when I have the money.

I have never been formally diagnosed with gout. My two younger brothers, and my father, all have been diagnosed with gout. All three have used allopurinol, and colchisine(sp). I don't like addressing symptoms without trying to address the underlieing problem. What really causes gout? I spent years trying individual supplements with a little success. I was missing the bigger picture, diet, and correcting all the deficiencies. I would much rather supplement for the rest of my life than add on new prescriptions every year for some new symptom. By chance I stumbled over Gary Taubes when I was in the process of quitting soda. Which reinforced my resolve to quit soda, and got rid of some dietary assumptions, or programming. And finally lead me to more focus on the vitamins, and minerals. Give the body what it needs, and it will take care of itself. I know I am stealing that idea from somewhere.

majkinetor
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#21  Post by majkinetor » Fri May 04, 2012 1:21 am

I spent years drinking drinking soda,from 1994 to 2011 . I was drinking a 2 liter a day at my worst in 2011. I believe that I am glucose sensitive. I also think that the soda habit, and poor diet, caused vitamin, and mineral deficiencies. These deficiencies, and my heritage, caused me to have gout. I am not methodical by nature. So, I haven't tested for deficiency, or recorded event durations, and frequency. Although, I am considering starting a gout journal now.

If not the sole cause of your disease, you could probably say its most important factor. Your family history is important but doesn't necessarily imply genetic susceptibility (it may be shared family behavior or environmental factors). Ofc that high fructose/glucose drinks cause deficiencies of all kinds but you don't need to test it since a) results will probably tell you nothing as there are no good methods for micro-nutrient deficiency diagnosis and b) its better to test it by supplementing since orthomolecular substances are essentially non toxic (especially in shorter periods like up to a year).

Colchisine, thats a nasty drug. I would stay away of it at any cost.

mountainofdew

Post Number:#22  Post by mountainofdew » Mon May 07, 2012 5:06 pm

I've been reading about glutathione a little, and how it relates to gout. http://www.americanhealthcarefoundation ... md/GSH.cfm

I found a site that has multiple links about various diseases here: http://glutathioneforhealth.wordpress.c ... -concerns/

Does anyone know anything about the above websites?

I have access to raw milk, and thinking that it should be a good source of bonded cysteine. I have ordered some NAC. But, thinking raw cows milk would be better long term.

mountainofdew

Post Number:#23  Post by mountainofdew » Mon May 07, 2012 5:55 pm

I believe glutathione production may be partly why tart cherries are known to have such beneficial effects for gout, and other forms of arthritis. Think melatonin.

I have used tart cherries in the past and did find some benefit from them. I plan on using them again after this latest bit of reading.

http://www.cellhealthforlife.com/images ... cherry.doc

Return to “Clinical Studies”