VC makes CAD worse?

The discussion of the Linus Pauling vitamin C/lysine invention for chronic scurvy

Moderator: ofonorow

blade

VC makes CAD worse?

Post Number:#1  Post by blade » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:49 am

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15531665

Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Nov;80(5):1194-200.
Does supplemental vitamin C increase cardiovascular disease risk in women with diabetes?

CONCLUSION:
A high vitamin C intake from supplements is associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular disease mortality in postmenopausal women with diabetes.

I don't get this "study?, is this even true?>

tjohnson_nb
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: VC makes CAD worse?

Post Number:#2  Post by tjohnson_nb » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:15 pm

I wonder what they meant by 'high vitamin C intake'?
'Always' and 'never' are 2 words you should always remember never to use.

blade

Post Number:#3  Post by blade » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:39 am

tjohnson_nb wrote:I wonder what they meant by 'high vitamin C intake'?

agreed
same issue with diets that talk about "low fat" diet, etc

words are vague
numbers are not

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:15 pm

Thanks you Blade! This is an excellent example of a pure-propaganda study (disguised as science) for our upcoming book!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Does+supplemental+vitamin+C+increase+cardiovascular+disease+risk+in+women+with+diabetes%3F

Full text. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Does+supplemental+vitamin+C+increase+cardiovascular+disease+risk+in+women+with+diabetes%3F

But first. I encourage anyone interested in this so-called science to run out and purchase Dr. Hickey's masterpiece TARNISHED GOLD.. Start about page 128... finish, and then start reading from the beginning..

First comment from the "background"

it can also be a prooxidant and glycate protein under certain circumstances in vitro.

In vitro means "in the test tube." Thank you Dr. Russell Jaffee MD, PhD, and "scientist of the year" for informing us of the Italian work that shows vitamin C is NEVER an antioxidant in vivo - in the body.

But based on this "theoretical possibility" our valiant researchers decided to issue food questionnaires.

Diet was assessed with a food-frequency questionnaire at baseline,
but how was this measured during the study one may ask? I didn't see that they did.

Oh and look - the people were in the HIGH group if they took more than 300 mg of vitamin C daily (or .3 g)
Supplemental intake of vitamin C was classified as 0, 1–99, 100–299, and ≥300 mg/d.

And boy this sounds impressive!

We used proportional hazards regression to account for potential effects of other risk factors for CVD. Multivariate models adjusted simultaneously for baseline values of age (continuous), total energy intake (continuous), history of hypertension, BMI (continuous), waist-hip ratio

Remember these authors names. i will.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

blade

Post Number:#5  Post by blade » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:05 pm

ofonorow wrote:Thanks you Blade! This is an excellent example of a pure-propaganda study (disguised as science) for our upcoming book!]

you are very welcome
I notice that a lot of peer-revieved papers out of China have been called out for not being "peer-reviewed".
I love this pic

Return to “Heart Disease: Linus Pauling's Vitamin C/Lysine Therapy”